chapter 11

"Isn't it time for bed, kid?" Drell asked Luke.

"Yeah, but, uh, what's that?" Luke asked, pointing to the mythical creature running straight towards Drell.

"Hm?" Drell looked back, then his eyes widened. "CHIMERA!!!!"

Atticus got in front of the strong warlock, getting in the mythical beast's way. The Chimera snarled viciously and roared in Atticus's face.

Atticus ducked from the roaring, but still glared to the creature. "Where did you come from?"

The Chimera roared at him again, not answering him and was going to have him for lunch, not knowing about his strength.

"So it's gonna be like that, is it?" Atticus glared. "Drell, take Luke back to his cabin, this won't take long."

"You got it." Drell said, taking Luke back to the cabin.

"Aww..." Luke pouted.

"All right, come get some!" Atticus challenged the Chimera. "Unless you're a cockatrice..." he then smirked, playing with the chicken metaphor since a cockatrice was part chicken.

The Chimera simply growled at him and ran right at him to eat this guy alive, unaware the pain it would endure.

"Okay, you asked for it..." Atticus taunted.

The Chimera then roared loudly and lunged for the boy, about to eat him alive.

"Oh, no, stop!" Cherry panicked for Atticus now.

But it was too late as it was about to land right on top of him, but only to be sent flying by just one uppercut by Atticus. Cherry yelped and ran out of the way before she could get crushed by the beast. Once the beast made contact with the ground, it disappeared.

"Huh?" Atticus glanced in suspicion.

"Well, that didn't work." Cherry frowned.

"Cherry?" Atticus looked over.

Cherry's eyes widened and she hid behind the tree, looking rather nervous.

"Cherry, what were you doing?" Atticus asked.

"Uh, just walkin'..." Cherry came out with a nervous smile as she walked in place. "Ya know me, I love to get fresh air and exercise."

"No, you don't." Atticus said, arms crossed.

"Oh, well, first time for everything, well, it's late, I better get some sleep before it gets creepy and dark out..." Cherry walked backward.

"Cherry, was that you that summoned that Chimera?" Atticus asked.

"Uh, that's a funny question..." Cherry shrugged. "I don't even know what a chimera is."

"Cherry?" Atticus asked, narrowing his eyes at her.

"Uh, maybe I saw it..." Cherry shrugged, avoiding eye contact. "Say, what a crazy day, huh? First we wake up and then we go to Big Moose Lake and then suddenly, there's a fishman trying to eat us!"

"Just tell me that my Uncle Sombra didn't help you with you with that." Atticus said.

Cherry bit her lip, then took a deep breath. "Your uncle Sombra didn't help me with this."

"Alright then." Atticus said before going off to catch up with the others.

Cherry watched him go, then looked a little nervous and guilty as she stared at the ground. "I can't believe I just lied to Atticus..." she mumbled to herself. "Oh, well, maybe I won't get busted for unleashing that chimera."

"You WHAT?!" Drell came behind her.

Cherry jolted and looked nervous. "Drell!"

"You unleashed that beast on me and you lied to Atticus?! Do you even realize what you have done?!" Drell glared.

"I... Uhh...." Cherry backed up nervously, she had never felt more scared of him than she did now.

"You are unbalancing it again!" Drell glared.

"I'm sorry..." Cherry fell onto the ground and crawled backwards. "I-I didn't mean to!"

"Don't listen to Sombra anymore, okay?" Drell asked.

Cherry sighed. "Okay..."

"I mean it, Cherry..." Drell warned. "I really don't wanna have to hurt you, not just because Atticus doesn't let me, but because you're his best friend. I might not seem like it, but I care about you just as much as I do to him..." he then walked off to visit the cabins to maybe sleep in one for the night.

Cherry watched him leave and she breathed weakly in relief that she wasn't injured.

'Your usefulness for me has ended, so now, I'll just leave.' Sombra's voice said before starting to fade.

"No, Sombra, please, come back!" Cherry begged. "I-I can try again! Really!"

'Alright, then you shall help the Woodsman get rid of the dam.' Sombra's voice smirked.

"Uhh..." Cherry felt that sounded risky. "So, there really is a Woodsman, huh?"

'Yes, so be scared and follow his orders.' Sombra's voice said.

"I'm not scared..." Cherry folded her arms. "Cherry Butler doesn't let fear stand in her way."

'Just do whatever he tells you when you two are alone.' Sombra's voice said.

"Yes, sir..." Cherry replied quietly.

'Good, now get some rest...' Sombra's voice told her. 'That was a close call, next time, don't screw it up!' his voice then faded away for the night.

Cherry sighed and walked off to get some sleep that night, but knowing how this was going, it wouldn't last very long. The rest wouldn't last long though as they would get an intruder.