chapter 18

Meanwhile...

"Aha, LaRue did have a partner!" Atticus said. "Listen to this, it says before he died, he told his cell-mate BabyFace Boretti the secret to fidning his hidden gold."

"Baby Face?" Mo said confused.

"That's what they called him," Atticus said. "Anyways, when the dawn breaks on the summer solstice, the steeple will point the way."

"The summer solstice?" Velma replied. "That's today! Or it will be when the sun rises in a few hours."

"But what did it mean when it said the steeple will point the way?" Colette asked.

"Hold on, get this," Daphne found a paper. "Two months ago, BabyFace Broetti escaped from jail."

"Like, one thing's for sure, man," Shaggy pointed the criminal out when he saw a snapshot of him. "This guy's too short to be the Woodsman or Fishman. He must have an accomplice."

"Or stilts." Scooby replied.

"Hey, guys, look at this." Patch said, showing them what he found on the map.

"What is it, Patch?" Colette took a look with him.

"It's a map of Big Moose and Little Moose." Velma said.

"Right, if someone wanted to get the treasure, all they would have to do is blow up the dam." Patch concluded.

"The dynamite!" Daphne then realized.

"But if they blow up the dam all that water will flood our camp." Velma said.

"Not Little Moose!" Fred cried out in distress. "All of my beloved childhood memories will be underwater."

"They would have to make sure the entire camp is empty." Atticus said.

"We have to get back to camp," Mo suggested. "And fast!"

"Agreed." Atticus nodded.

They all rushed to the Mystery Machine and drove as quickly as they could back to Camp Little Moose while Atticus and Goku flew in the sky.

"Please be okay, please be okay, please be okay." Atticus prayed.

They came up to the front gate and saw that the camp was nearly in ruins.

"What happened?" Fred frowned at the display.

"Looks like the Woodsman had a field day while we were gone." Velma assumed.

"Drell, Cherry, are you here?!" Atticus called out.

"Atticus?" Drell's voice asked.

Atticus looked around. "Drell?"

"Over here." Drell said, appearing with Luke, Trudy, Darla, and Amber.

"That old boy chopped up my camp faster than a beaver with a buzz saw." Burt frowned.

"I was so scared," Trudy pouted. "I thought he was gonna come find us."

"I'm sorry, guys," Luke walked over to Fred and Atticus. "If I was a real Little Mooser, I would have stopped him from destroying our camp."

"Luke, you are a real Little Mooser." Atticus assured him.

"Yeah, don't be so hard on yourself," Fred added in. "Little Moose isn't about the cabins and the canoes and the campfires. The true spirit of Little Moose is in here." he then pointed to the boy's chest to indicate his heart. "And you've got it."

"I do?" Luke smiled.

"Uh-huh." Atticus nodded.

Fred then stood tall. "High in the mountains."