•13•

My plan was to fall asleep and when I wake up, I would get off at the next stop that I see. So I did. I closed my eyes and let myself drift off into a deep sleep.

~~~

When I awoke, I looked around and saw only two other people on the subway with me. One was a lady, about middle age, and one was a boy. He looked slightly older than me, but not by much. He had dark brown hair and the lightest blue eyes you would ever see. But what shocked me the most was what he was holding. A child. Maybe 1, at the most. I was quick to assume it was a sibling, but that was until I heard his low whispers to the young child. He kept repeating it over and over trying to calm the whimpering.

"Shh, its okay Daddy's here." He kept saying it over and over. And I couldn't help but listen. There was no way he could be any older than 19. I guess it wasn't too young but it still is a little unexpected. I decided to stand up and walk over to him. I sat quietly next to him and decided to speak.

"Cute kid."

He turned and smiled at me before looking back at the child, who I now know is a girl. She had he same light blue eyes that he did, but she had more of a blonde shade of hair then brown.

While smiling at the baby girl, he replied. "Thanks."

"No problem." I smiled back.

"I hope you don't mind me asking. How old are you?"

The boy sighed before replying to my question.

"17" wow. Even younger than I thought.

"Oh. Well, I'm 17 too."

"Yeah. That's cool."

"So. Where are you heading to?"

"I don't know. Me and Kalani are just trying to escape, I guess. Away from all the drama. I just want to start over. I don't really expect you to understand though."

"No. I understand completely. I want to start over too."

We smiled at each other before we both focused our attention back on the child, as she had started to cry again.

"Oh no. Shhh Kalani, you're okay." He tried.

"Um. I know we just met, and this might sound weird but, do you mind if I try?"

He looked at me, then to Kalani, then back to me, before smiling.

"Sure."

He handed me the child and I carefully held her before I bagan to sofly sing to her.

I thought that I've been hurt before,

But no ones ever left me quite this sore.

Your words cut deeper than a knife,

Now I need someone to breathe me back to life.

Got a feelin' that I'm going under,

But I know that I'll make it out alive.

If I quit callin' you my lover,

And move on...