Sisterhood

Judy was dragged out into the farm fields by Kerin and Jill, so they could go see the little mouse family that moved in nearby.

The mice were very tiny and cute in their little hut by the barn, but Judy didn't say it out loud. She didn't want to offend them.

"...Yasmine, Bernie, Henry..." Kerin was introducing the younger mice to Judy. The mention of the name Bernie made her jump. She was immediately reminded of the handsome bunny who had danced with her to Fleetwood Yak's music. The thought of it caused her stomach to twist into a knot.

"All right, who is he?"

Judy blinked rapidly, shaking her head. "What?" she asked.

"I know you, okay?" Kerin said, annoyed. Jill had gone away to pick carrots in the fields with several family members. "You have that dazed look on your face--the same one after Toddy Jumper. Remember? You had a crush on him that entire summer. You wouldn't hang out with me."

Judy laughed nervously, recalling the cute bunny she had met in summer camp the beginning of that summer. She did feel the same way with Bernie--dazed and fluttery. Even though Kerin was twelve years old, she knew her older sister all too well.

"His name's Bernie," she said, trying not to let her voice get too sing-songy. "He's a new recruit to the department. He has excellent taste in music, he knows I love carrot-flavored coffee, and he is quite a gentlebunny."

"Sounds like love," Kerin teased.

"Don't be a gossip--okay Kerin?" Judy begged. "I don't want the entire family into my life. It's enough as it is."

"But you know they'll find out anyway," Kerin said with a smirk. "At your wedding."

"Stop it! We aren't even in an official relationship." Judy pushed her sister's shoulder a little.

"Oh, okay," Kerin walked away from Judy, and started to sing a song. "Bernie and Judy sitting in a tree--"

Judy sighed, exasperated. Her sister would never forget her budding romance now. She was certain to tell the entire family at one point--that was how terrible she was keeping secrets. Good thing she was going back to work tomorrow. She was anxious to get back on the case, to continue working with her best friend, and to see Bernie again...