Snarlbucks

"Watching your friend?"

Judy jumped at Bernie's voice. "Oh. No, no. Well. Yes." She took a deep breath before starting again. "Nick's just talking with his friend, there."

Bernie sat down across from Judy, a latte in his hand. "Well, then." He glanced at Nick leaning on the counter, talking quietly with the pretty vixen. Yvette had long red bangs swept to one side with a thin pink plastic headband. She had bright green eyes and long lashes. She wore a yellow sundress and a jade necklace. She kept giggling every now and then to something Nick said.

"So," Judy smiled at Bernie. "Were you the valedictorian of your class? Is that why you were given such an important job?"

"Well, actually, I was a meter man, but when everyone else was busy solving crimes, Chief Bogo called me to handle the jailbreak." Bernie slurped his latte. His blue eyes were so bright. "Surprising, isn't it? I thought I'd have to work my way to the top. Like you had."

Judy nodded. "It was hard for me, but I think I've given way to determine equality for all animals, big or small. I'm so glad that has happened."

Bernie smiled, his curved front teeth sticking out. He pushed his big glasses up the bridge of his nose. He had a white face, and dark gray fur on the rest of his body. "So, what's special about Judy Hopps?" He asked flirtatiously.

"Oh," she laughed nervously. "I do love Gazelle."

"Everybody does!" Bernie exclaimed. He thrust his paws up in the air. "She's the best singer." He cleared his throat. "But tell me, have you heard of Rhine?"

"Rhine? No."

"They're a band. Three moose, two Tasmanian Devils. They're wicked at the drums and bass." Bernie took out his iKarret. He scrolled something, and turned the screen towards Judy. "This is them. They're semi-famous, but not enough people know them."

The picture showed moose with afros or a punk-styled hair. One Tasmanian Devil had dyed his hair pink, so he looked edgy. "They look...interesting?" Judy said, unsure.

Bernie smiled. "Tell you what. I'll let you borrow a couple of their CDs. You have a player?"

"Nick has one."

"I'll bring you some tomorrow. Then you can determine whether or not they're good." Bernie pocketed his phone, and stood up. "I need to get to my duty. See you, Hopps."

"Bye, Bernie," Judy called after him.

He glanced behind him, and smiled. He left the store.

"Well!" Nick stood in front of Judy. "That was Bernie."

Judy tried to stifle a smile, but couldn't. "That was Bernie."

"He's quite something."

"That's weird. Come on, we gotta go." Judy threw away her coffee, and took out her keys. "We gotta solve this case."

"Speaking of...I've got an idea." Nick led her out of the coffee shop before adding, "We should go see Mr. Big."

"Mr. Big? Nick, come on..."

"He might know something about..." A zebra passed between them. When she had passed out of earshot, Nick whispered, "the Terrifying Yellers."

Judy nodded reluctantly. "We can try."