Guilt and Regret

"There were animals living there? So you were trespassing."

"We didn't know!" Judy protested. "We assumed it was abandoned."

Chief Bogo sighed, and put his fingers at his temple. "You do know, that this could reflect poorly on the ZPD?" He asked quietly. "I'm just warning you."

Judy looked over at Nick. The fox was staring at his paws. "We understand," she said. "But Chief...since we were discovered, they're going to hide all the jewelry and evidence. They'll move out of there now."

Bogo got up from his swivel chair, and turned away from the bunny so he was looking out the window behind his desk. It showed a view of the commotion of the residential areas. He sighed deeply.

Judy buried her face in her hands. "I'm sorry, sir. I failed."

Chief Bogo turned around to see the miserable animal. His gaze softened in understanding. "You didn't fail," he said.

"But I did! That was our one chance to find the Yellers, and and now they're gone," Judy sobbed.

Bogo slammed his fist on the desk. "Toughen up, cottontail!" he roared. "Stop feeling sorry for yourself! A cop will accept her mistakes, and try to fix it. Your job is to capture the criminals." He sighed. "Now, go and get a search warrant, and get those jewels. Quickly!"

Nick nudged Judy out of the chair, and led her out of the room. Judy was desperately trying to control herself. She felt so bad about messing up their chance to capture the criminals. Now Wendy Hoofe knew that the cops were out to get them. She would most certainly move out, and find another hiding place. Now she had to start over.

"We should go to Rainforest," Nick said. "To the West Redfox."

Judy frowned. "What's that?"

"It's a pub where I know a lot of con artists go. They may know someone from the Yellers."

Judy imagined a place like one from Pirates of the Cougarbean, where there were a lot of fighting and laughing and acting weird.

"Although," Nick gestured to Judy's uniform, "they're not going to talk to police officers."