Renovations

They had made lots of changes.

As soon as Judy stepped out of the green van, she gasped.

Her usual five-room farm home had been expanded to three times it's size--painted baby blue instead of the usual peeling white, a huge white deck had been created outlining the entire house, and there was a bigger red barn. The whole thing looked like a mansion worth a million dollars.

"You guys...wow," Judy gasped, walking towards the house. "You renovated?"

Stu nodded, gazing up at his house proudly. "We had too many kids in each of the rooms, so we upgraded to a fifteen-bedroom. Some of our oldest can share a room with fewer kids in them. They'll have more privacy."

"Fifteen bedro--" Judy exhaled in astonishment. "But...how did you get the money?"

"Years and years of saving," Bonnie sighed contentedly. "Anyways...you should see the kitchen...Ellen and Elle should be baking some goodies for your return."

The interior was magnificent. It looked like a magazine...Judy recalled seeing several HomeGoods magazines with lots of Post-its and marked-up pages on the kitchen table the last time she was here, which had been just a few months ago.

The kitchen was crowded with hungry bunnies. Judy thought she saw Bernie, her brother, but it was only Quinn, the younger bunny that was almost identical to Bernie.

Her stomach twisted at the thought of Bernie. He was just too handsome.

"So!" Stu's voice interrupted her thoughts. "Why haven't you been MuzzleTime'd us more? Honestly it's like you disappeared these past months..."

"Stu! She's a police officer. That takes work," Bonnie said, nudging her husband. "She wants some space."

Stu sighed, and walked into the kitchen. Ellen and Elle were just taking out pans of homemade chocolate chip cookies and muffins. One of the youngest bunnies, Jill, reached out to take a cookie. Elle slapped her hand away, and told her not to touch the very hot pan. Jill started to cry, but two older bunnies ushered her away into the playroom.

"So, what's the latest case, Judy?" Bonnie asked, putting an oven mitt on and started to scrape off the cookies. "Anything not top-secret?"

"Well, there are the jewelry store robberies," Judy said. She hesitated. Should I tell them about the Terrifying Yellers? She shook the thought away. It's too dangerous for them to know. "We've been on the chase for a particular bunny robber."

"A bunny?" Bonnie said, surprised. "It's been quite a while since one of our species have caused a crime..."

"I know, it has been very surprising, but we shouldn't make assumptions that all bunnies are good, sweet, and innocent. We can be tough, too."

Bonnie chuckled. "Spoken like a true police officer," she murmured.

"Lieutenant. I'm a lieutenant," Judy pointed out, a smirk growing on her face. "Don't forget, I'm not a meter maid anymore."