Part 21 ~ Early In The Morning

Olivia's Point Of View ~

3:00am. 

A loud ring of a mobile phone wakes me. I flutter my sleep filled eyes open as the noise breaks me away from my pleasant dreams and peaceful slumber. Who is calling now and at such a time? I groan softly, turning over onto my back. Noticing that Eric's arm is lying across my stomach. I place my hands upon that arm . . 

"Who is it, Eric? . . " I ask, a little confused and still sleepy. 

He takes a hold of the bed sheet in his hand, throwing it to the side and off him. My head is turned to the side . . in Eric's direction, watching him as he sits up rubbing his eyes. His back is facing me now, his legs dangling off the side of the bed. He picks up his phone, looking at the caller ID. Just staring at it for a few seconds . . then suddenly, he stands from the bed leaving the bedroom altogether to stand in the hallway.

That was weird. 

He doesn't need to leave the room to talk to whoever is on the other side of the phone. I'm awake now and Eric knows that . . if that what he's worried about. I sit up quickly, Eric's sudden departure has left me a little alarmed, quite concerned. I lean my back against the headboard . . my arms are wrapped around my legs as they are raised and bent at the knees. Sitting in the dark . . thinking over and over again who would be calling Eric and about what. Hmm. I have no idea. I can't think of any reason. My sleepy eyes looking aimlessly into the still quite dark room as I sit dressed in my black tank top and grey track pants. My wavy, long hair is out and safe to call bed hair now. I must look crazy. My head snapping towards the bedroom door as I hear footsteps and see Eric's silhouette walk over to the closet. The click sound of it opening makes me wonder, my eyebrows furrow. 

"Eric, where are you going? . . " I ask. 

He throws on a simple shirt, along with the jingle sound of an undone belt on a pair of denim jeans. He sits on the bed . . his back facing me once again. As he leans down to put on a pair of socks. Deciding to tell me whats going on after a few minutes of silence.

"Um . . it's my grandmother . . she's sick . . " He tells me. 

" . . so . . I'm needed at the hospital . . " His voice quite blunt. 

I jump out of bed after my eyes widen. I must not allow Eric to turn up to the hospital alone. I just need to go with him. So he knows that someone is there for him at such a heart aching time. He stops what he's doing and looks at me. 

"Olivia, what are you doing? . . " He asks. 

" . . I'm coming with you, babe . . " I inform him. Of course I'm coming with him. 

"No! . . " 

His voice is raised a little, startling me and stopping me right in my efforts of getting out bed to get changed. 

"Sorry . . it's just . . at a time like this, it's only immediate family and not a lot of visitors . . " He tells me. 

" Oh okay . . " I say quietly, defeated. 

Eric makes a dash into the bathroom, freshening himself up a little. He walks out, switching off the bathroom light as he passes. Putting on his shoes and grabs his car keys as they sit on the bedside table. He walks over to me, leaning down to peck my forehead. 

"I love you, Olivia . . " He tells me. 

I freeze. Did he just say that four letter word? And mean it? . . 

I smile, just feeling like I'm blushing like crazy. "I love you too, Eric . . " 

I say back to him proudly. He tells me to get some sleep before rushing out of the room, with the sound of the front door closing. Nothing is heard now but peaceful silence of the early morning hours. I sigh, knowing that I can't fall back asleep now. I won't be able to. My mind is thinking to what Eric just said to me. Wow. I'm so overwhelmed . . so happy. I miss him. I can't fall asleep with him not by my side anymore. I walk downstairs and towards the couch, lying down and placing a soft cushion underneath my head. My legs to stretch out across it. I close my eyes . . I'm just going to lay here and wait for Eric to come back.