Part 17 ~ Truth Hurts

Olivia's Point Of View ~

"I'm sorry, darling. I didn't think that you would pick something up from the doctors waiting room . . " 

My mother continues to apologise, it's described as repetition. Her guilt is making her feel just awful. Which she doesn't need to feel that way. It's fine now. I'm fine. Everything is good and back to normal. I'm doing my best to put her guilt aside and forget it. 

"Mum, it's fine. Don't worry . . " I reassure her. I place my hand on top of her's as it sits on the table.

I tell her that Michael was with me the whole way through. How he was by my side, sometimes literally. Telling her he would hold me until I got some sleep or run errands for me and make me soup. How he would look after me in such a caring manner. I look up my mum . . her smile is so wide, it's almost coming off her face. She has always told me how much she adores Michael. 

"Oh Michael, he has always been there for you. I hope you know that Olivia . . "

I laugh a little, nodding my head. Agreeing with her. 

"I know he has and I love him so much for that, mum . . "

She raises her eyebrows. Lifting her coffee mug and bringing it to her lips to take a satisfied sip.  

As mum and I walked in, we resume to see the maroon walls with chestnut tables throughout the small area. The sound of small talk filling the room as other coffee drinkers have chosen to dine in on this refreshingly cool afternoon. The beautiful smell of ground coffee invading my nostrils as it drifts through the air, feeling like the smell has soaked into my clothing. I love it. Along with the sound of coffee beans grinding and when porcelain cups meets the saucer. Mum and I are always here when we like to catch up with one another. This little coffee shop is one of our favourites to go to. I have been coming here since I was a little girl, as my mum would order her morning coffee and me a hot chocolate as a tradition before dropping me to school. I take hold of my cup in my desperate hands, bringing it up to my lips . . the continuation of smelling such a gorgeous scent such as coffee makes my heart beat faster and my eyes close in peaceful delight. My cappuccino seeming to have endless foam on the top with very lovely picture art. I love this drink. It's my favourite . . my most loved. With almond milk . . always. 

"So, is there anything going on with you and Michael? . . " Mother asks me. 

I give my mum a blank stare. Knowing that this certain topic has already been established in the past between the both of us. My mum only hopes, she has always wished that one day I would come to her and tell her that Michael and I are finally an official couple. But no . . we are not. And Michael feels the same way as I do, I'm sure of it. 

"No mum . . we are just good friends . . " I tell her, my eyes roll as I say. 

"Well, he is boyfriend material . . " She says. Making her point while adding a teaspoon of sugar and mixing it around. Her eyebrows raised and her lips pouted but only slightly. 

"He's very sweet. He would send you flowers and . . " 

My eyes go wide, almost popping out of my head upon hearing my mother mention it in casual conversation. I remember now. 

"Oh mum, now I remember what I had to tell you . . " I say quickly. Not meaning to cut her off. 

She stays quiet. Nodding her head and waiting for me to continue. 

"Well it's been a few weeks now but there was this bundle of roses left on our doorstep . . "

She looks confused. "Who found them sitting there? . . "