Trouble Down Under....

Trouble Down Under....

 Ana Pov

"Lily, just jump. Seb will catch you" I said gently to my chubby friend.

We were standing above the sewer entrance that everyone else had already gone into; everyone except Lily. I've been gently coaching her to make the leap but it was proving to be more difficult than I first expected

"No! Seb is hot and all but what if those things are waiting down there" she whined. I rolled my eyes. This is getting irritating. Jace’s spell is getting ready to wear off and I know Talon won’t be long after that. Lily was wasting time so I took matters into my own hands.

"One way to find out" I said and then I pushed her into the hole. She screamed and flapped like a fish out of water. A humph sounded when she landed into the waiting arms of Seb.

"Not cool Ana!" Lily shouted up at me. I chuckled before jumping down myself. After landing gracefully into three inches of sewer water I turned on my flashlight and surveyed the area around us. It was extremely dark, wet and smelled horrible but other than that it was somewhat normal. As normal as a disgusting sewer gets anyway.

"Alright stick close and keep quiet. The next exit is only a few miles if we run into trouble" Seb spoke before leading us deeper inside.

I listened to everyone's heart and they were a little erratic, with the exception of Lily. Her heart was beating so out of control I was sure she would faint at the first sign of danger or maybe even a rat. Speaking of rats, I could hear a few rummaging about. The others couldn't and there is no point telling them. We walked along in a tense silence for a while after no sign of dwellers everyone seemed to relax a little

"It smells so bad!" Lily exclaimed. Since I was walking behind them I couldn't see her face but I’m sure she was scrunching it up unpleasantly.

"My readings said dwellers have a smell similar to rotten meat." Simon informed

"Oh! I think that's what I smell!" Lily shot out flashing her light frantically around

"No what you smell is feces. Mostly rat and it's what you’re stepping in too" Marie added. Lily jumped and squealed. We chuckled at her dramatics. The droppings were everywhere; she couldn't get away if she tried.

"This is so gross! Witch boy can't you cast a spell and zap us there already?" She asked Jace of course

"My name is Jace and no. I'm not skilled enough for transport spells" Jace replied sighing when Lily clutched onto his arm. We had already walked a few miles, passing the first exit. Seb didn't say anything. I assumed he didn't want to give the others a chance to try and get out before we were far enough away. Not that I blame him.

Suddenly the atrocious smell of spoiled flesh and grim assaulted my nostrils. I whipped around flashing my light into the darkness behind me.

There was nothing there. But I knew that was a lie.

The others continued walking and chatting unaware of my pause. Something wet and slimy hit my right shoulder. I wiped off the snot like substance with disgust. Where did that come from?

 Slowly I turned my flashlight up. When my eyes met the ceiling I almost gasped. Covering the roof was hundreds of dwellers apparently sleeping all over each other. Their skin was pale and almost translucent. You could see the outline of every bone in their thin, long bodies. The hands and toes were claws similar to a lions but longer and sharper. Ears were large and pointed.