Smart coward or dead hero

I woke up with a painful crook in my neck. Oh crap this really hurts. I roll my neck around trying to stretch it out. As luck would have it, that didn't work. Sighing I stood to stretch the rest of my numb limbs and exit the train.

The night sky is black and a sliver of the moon shines from behind the clouds. The streets are deserted. I wonder how long we've been here while I slept.

I walk around the empty station for any signs of life or maybe a clue as to where I might be. Hmm I wonder where that train driver is? Sighing I make my way back outside hoping to run into someone.

Right on cue an older gentlemen with white hair comes around the corner eating a doughnut. Judging by his uniform it’s the missing train driver. I watch him slowly make his way to the front doors where I’m standing.

"Oh you’re finally awake there sleeping beauty" he says in an amused tone in between bites. The wind picks up causing me to shiver. I wrap my arms tightly around myself for warmth

"Yes I am. Uh where are we?" I gesture around the deserted train station with no sign of a town in sight.

“This is Chance harbor. Small old town and your stop according to your ticket" he informs. I nod again and look around hoping for a clue to the town square Verna told me about. The man must notice my worried expression because he answers my silent questions

"Town square is about three blocks to the right you should run straight into it. There are a few shops and diners still open and a motel there as well. I would walk you back but I just came from there and I have a schedule to keep" he ends with a small shrug.  I smile and thank him for the information walking in the direction he just told me.

This is so creepy. There are barely any street lights and the road is cracked and bumpy causing me to trip multiple times; clearly it hasn't been paved in years. I pick up my pace to keep from thinking about all the animals that could be lurking in the shadows. It's hard to see but all around is empty fields except way back to the left and right of me looks to be woods. There is no way in hell I'm leaving the road to wander a hundreds of yards out of my way to the deep dark dangerous field of trees. Yeah I’m not that crazy.

 I glance around searching for the town and little ways up I catch a glimpse of bright lights. Yes! I'm almost there and off this dark lonely road. With a new goal in mind I pick up my pace

 Out of nowhere a scream sounds the air stopping me mid stride. Turning my head in the direction it came from there’s an old torn down abandoned house in the middle of the field about twenty feet away.

My stomach drops and I get that feeling something bad is about to happen. A part of me wants to see if someone needs help. But a smarter part knows to get to the town and send someone back instead.

‘No you’re just a coward’

‘Better a smart coward than dead hero. Right?’

I quiet down my internal banter and glance back up at the town so close but still far away. Making a snap decision I run towards it. From this distance I'm sure no one in town could have heard the scream. The faster I get there the faster I can send help back.

I run another twenty steps when the feminine scream pierces my ears again.

Shit!

I freeze. 

My heart is beating dents against my chest. My palms are sweating and all in all I'm scared sh*tless.

 I can't fight if she’s being attacked so I shouldn't go out there.