Prologue

"Mother let's take her home she is so cute. Please...." Alfonso asked pulling his best pout but his mother just smiled down at him. It was funny how children begged for the impossible. Its like they lived in their own world where they did not see the difficulties of life. To them all was rosy. They ask, they are given. They cry, they are consoled. All to them was simple. All, to them was a game where rule number one is that they have to win.

"She is only three Al, and you are eight you can't play with her." His mother tried to discourage, he was not winning this time. As a parent she was going against the rules of the childhood game.

"Your friends at school will laugh when they see you with a baby," she tried to discourage again but he shook his head. At the moment Helena came and stood in front of him holding out the beach sand for him to see. He took it and she let out a delighted squeal holding her cheeks in her palms, squishing her lips to a cute forced pout. She pulled at her hair and tilted looking at him with her big green round eyes as she tried to remove the fascinating scrunchies on her head. What more could life offer- a bunch of scrunchies in a toddler's head.

"Please... Let's keep her..." His mother let out a soft laugh before picking up Helena. She squealed again, this time wiggling in Tarma's hands.

"Let me hold her..." he stretched out his hand and Helena stretched hers out to meet him. Tarma shook her head and Helena wiggled trying to get away to Alfonso then her lower lip stuck out when she realized that her efforts were to no gain. She started a muffled whimper kicking her legs so that she be left free. Tarma put her down and she ran towards Alfonso and cast her arms around him before dropping both of them down. She let out a high pitched giggle and Alfonso cast his arms around her sitting up and letting her sit on his lap. Placing her hands on his cheeks she shouted, "Al! 'ets play!"

Alfonso smiled at her as he staggered to get them both up again. Once she got up she took sand- fistful and threw it on Alfonso's her. He giggled and pulled her towards him. He let her sit on his lap tickling her on the neck. She let out a shrill squeal before falling feet high and torso on the beach sand letting her pink polka dot blue dress cover her face. Tarma picked her up immediately and gave her to her mother which cut Alfonso's giggle in the middle then a tantrum threatening to breakout.
He started crying, silent sobs as he brushed his arm across his nose before running his forehand across his arms. It was like he had just lost something important to him.

"Honey she is not yet going." Tarma tried to console him but he cried the more.

"But you took her back to her mother,"

"You have me and Lalie," Tarma engaged in emotional blackmail.

"I want to have her too..."

"Al, what if we get you a sister?"

That was not happening anytime soon.

"Tomorrow?"

"Next year."
By then he would have been forgotten or lost interest.

"I want baby Helly!" He almost screamed and Helena turned her head at the mention of her name.

"I will give you baby Helly for Christmas!" Her voice sounded enthusiastic as if she was announcing they had just won the lottery.

"Really?"

"Really honey."

He pulled up his tropical shirt using it to wipe his tears. He walked towards Helena's mother before asking her to put down Helena. She placed her in Alfonso's arms and Alfonso staggered a bit holding her with her waist.

"Al, I wanna play!"

"Let us run to the water. The last one to reach is a flamingo!" Alfonso announce and Helena looked confused for a minute. She seemed not to understand his words.

She sat down, "I wanna be a famingo! Pink!"

"The last one to reach is a monster!" Her eyes widened as she stood up laughing and ran as fast as she could in the direction of the ocean.

Alfonso waited for her to be halfway as a headstart before he too ran towards the ocean.

*******

He sobbed openly as he looked out the window.

"She will come again soon honey. We will visit her."

"I want her now..." He sniffed but the car took a sharp corner into the woods and somehow he wiped his tears in surrender. He was never to have her again. Her mother was not giving her to him for Christmas. They were not to visit her again. It was simply the end of a one day friendship. He knew he was never seeing her.

"When I grow up, I will call her to my house and live with her. We will play and we will visit the pond and the beach." He said with renewed confidence.

"She will grow up too." His mother explained.

"But she would still be baby Helly." His mother sighed and he smiled.

A twitch at the corner of his lips at first.

Then a slight smile.

Then a toothy grin.

Which later turned into an evil smirk.

This time he had promised himself and he vowed not to break the promise. At least the promise was given by him and he did not break promises especially ones he made to himself.

"I will get myself baby Helly when I grow up rich. Oh I sure will. No school where friends will laugh at me. I will..."

"Sure you will baby...no one will stop you then.

He lay back into the seat his mother looking at him shaking her head.

The words did however make sense which scared her a bit.

****

Did you like it?

Enjoy! Coz I am.

I write for you.... Read for me!!!