23

After once again arguing with Jace , Tamsin headed back to the institute by herself. She was void of any emotion as she walked through the streets of New York unnoticed by the mundanes rushing about around her.

Tamsin took her time getting back to the institute and used this as free time to think about everything going on. In a few days time she was going to be married to someone she wasn't even in love with. Sure she cared a lot about Alec and the rest of his family but she didn't know if she was really ready to commit herself into a marriage where there wouldn't be any requited love - deep down she knew that her heart belonged with Jace but she couldn't let her emotions cloud her judgement.

Not being any closer to figuring her life out Tamsin entered the institute and headed towards the control room where she was sure she'd be able to find Alec or Izzy.

"Isabelle Lightwood, by order of the Clave, you are under arrest for high treason," Lydias voice rang through Tamsins ears as she made her way over to where Alec , Lydia , Isabelle and a guard were standing.

"What?" Tammy asked making them aware of her presence ,"On what grounds?"

"Only a handful of people knew about the Meliorn op," Lydia stated

"And everyone knows she's sleeping with him," the guard added with a smirk like he was so pleased with himself.

"You know what, Lydia? You're no better than Valentine. But at least he had the guts to tell Downworlders to their faces he wanted them all dead," Izzy defended herself and Tammy couldn't of been more proud in that moment - someone was finally putting the blond witch back in her place ,"You... hide behind the Law."

"I don't hide behind it, Isabelle. I simply follow it," Lydia remarked with a frown ,"Because it guards against one very important thing , Shadowhunters fighting other Shadowhunters."

"If she is convicted, she'll be stripped of her runes and banished," Alec said stepping in for his sister ,"I can't let that-"

"Don't," Izzy cut him off ,"it's not your fight."

"And it's not your fight either Izzy," Tamsin said walking to stand directly in front of Lydia ,"Isabelle did nothing wrong it was me."

Lydia raised her eyebrows in surprise ,"It was you?"

"Where do you think I just came from? I was returning from the vampires lair,"Tamsin lied.

"Isabelle I am sorry for wrongly accusing you," Lydia awkwardly coughed ,"I'm not shocked it was you Tamsin after all you are apart of the vampire clan."

"I'm not apart of it I just know right from wrong and torturing a downworlder as you call them is wrong," Tamsin glared at Lydia ,"now lock me up or whatever it is you want to do but I don't feel any regret for doing what was right.

Lydia turned away from Tamsin ,"Guards you know what to do."

Tamsin remained silent as her arms were pulled behind her back and held together as the guard led her away with Lydia following closely behind to make sure she didn't escape.

The two lightwood siblings just stood there shocked.

"I can't believe Tammy just did that," Isabelle breathed overwhelmed at her friend taking the blame.

"Why does she keep doing this stuff for us?" Alec questioned not expecting an answer.

"She really cares for us," Izzy smiled ,"what will happen to her if she gets convicted? She's new to this world will they go easy on her?"

"We can only hope they will," Alec sighed ,"i'll find out when the trial is and then we can work out what the best defence would be for her."

"Don't you mean who the best defence would be," Izzy hinted with a knowing look on her face ; although it really wasn't the time for that specific conversation Izzy had to lighten the mood so there would be a tiny bit of positivity in the atmosphere.