Chapter 24: It's Okay To Let Yourself Be Happy

Maya's POV
"Hey, Maya." An overly chipper (at least for Monday) voice says.

"Uhh.." I groan, failing to open my locker, getting more and more pissed at this fucking combination.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just tired. Your boyfriend sent me a text Saturday saying we had plans next weekend? I guess I just forgot, so I had to work a double shift last night to get this weekend off."

"Oh, sorry... Wait, but Maya I don't think we have-"

"Hey, Riles." Farkle says, swooping in, swings a gangly arm around his girlfriend.

"Hey, Farkly." She replies, smiling up to him, using the nickname that made  me want to gush, then at the same time, made me want to throw up all over them.

"What's happening? Fill me in!" He said, excitedly.

"Oh, Maya was saying we have plans this weekend, but I don't remem-"

"Riles." Farkle says in a warning voice. Riley looks into his eyes, and Farkle gives her a look I couldn't really decipher.

"O-Oh, yeah. Now I remember. We have that thing."

"Yeah, Riles. That thing... But you know what, we have to go to a 'thing' right now."

"And what would that be?"

"Calculus."

£

Lucas's POV
"Well, well, well, look what we have here." I hear behind me as large, unmistakeable footsteps approach me. If there was one thing, that could decipher Isaiah Babineaux from the rest of the Earth's population, it was his heavy, and just downright Texas boots. "Lukey is playing hooky."

I turned around from the counter, to see my loud, impulsive, insane best friend, Zay.

"Oh, can't I just enjoy one cup of coffee. Just one, that's all I'm asking for." I say. A few minutes pass by of us just staring at each other. Then we both broke out in grins, giving each other a hug, and commencing in a weird handshake we hadn't done since eighth grade. After I had gotten my coffee, we sat down at one of the booths.

"So, how was Texas, man?"

Zay had spent the last few weeks in Texas visiting family, and spending a lot of time with Vanessa. After 2 and 1/2 years, they were still going strong. His dad had paid for him to go, only if he checked out colleges and such down there, since he planned on moving back there, after graduation.

"Yeah, it was good. Vanessa and I checked out some universities and ideal places to live. And before you ask, Papa Joe is doing great with the land, as always."

"Ok, but my real question is, what are you doing here? I thought you were supposed to be there until the end of the week."

"Truth is, when your mom called to talk to Papa Joe, I talked to her. And you know your mom, always...well..."

"Gossiping? It's okay, Zay, you can say it. You know it, I know it, she knows it, Maya's ferret knows it, hell even the rat in the corner knows it.

"Yeah, well anyway, she told me your plan. And, well, being the captain of the Lucaya ship, I could not, under any circumstances, miss it. So here I am."

"Well, thank you. Because I could use your help. And really? Lucaya?"

"Would you prefer Mucas?"

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, didn't think so."

£

Maya's POV
Ok, this is the most confusing day ever. People are being really weird. The way they've been acting, has made me question life at least 17 times, and we haven't even made it to lunch yet.