Chapter 22: I'll Always Be Here

Maya's POV
I can't believe Josh. He just left, without any explanation! And then, of course my luck, it started raining. And not like a drizzle, like a good mid-summer no! A good, pouring New York rain. As I was walking home, I just kept replaying the scene over and over again in my head. At first, I was really...depressed. Like the kind of sad you have to sulk in your room for a couple weeks, not leaving it, ever, to start to get over it. But no, I can't be a normal teenager and just dismiss everyone, I have work. But then, all of a sudden, I felt furious. Who does he think he is? What right does he have, so that he gets to tell me how I feel? Ugh, he just...gets under my skin. Kinda reminds me of someone else...

"Hey, Maya, want a ride?"

Speak of the devil. If the devil's name was Lucas, and he drove a deep red 2014 Chevy.

"No thanks." I say, as snarkily as possible. I continued walking, but he kept driving right beside me.

"Maya, just get in."

"I said, I'm good !" I was getting kinda annoyed.

"Yeah? Well guess what? I said Maya, get in the damn truck, before you get pneumonia!"

"I don't care!" I say, as I see him getting out of the truck.

"Lucas, what are you-" Was all I could get out before he scooped me up and threw me over his shoulder.

"Woah, ok. This is happening." I say, as he carries me to the passenger side and practically throws me in. Before I can do anything, he runs to the other side, gets in, and locks the truck.

"What are you doing?" I say as I bang on the window and the door, trying to find the unlock button. Ugh, stupid technology! "Come on, let me out!"

"No, because you know why? You may not care if you get pneumonia, or whatever, but guess what? If you die, where will that leave the rest of us? Riley crying herself to sleep every night. Farkle in denial, then eventually breaking. And me, I will stay strong, and try to act like I'm ok, because I'm supposed to be ok with everything. But after everything's said and done, I will be a mess, and it won't be long until I join you."

"You've really thought this out, haven't you?"

"Well, I just... I just can't lose you."

"Lucas, I think you're overthinking... everything. It's just a little rain, and my house is only a couple blocks away. I can walk."

"No, I said I would drive you home, and dammit Maya Penelope Hart, I am driving you home."

"Fine, whatever." The ride was silent. I looked out the window at all the buildings, and he focused on the road. Finally, we pulled up to my house. Then, we noticed the lights were off.

"Looks like no one's home, so it looks like I'm on my own tonight."

"Will you be fine?" Lucas asked. I laughed, I couldn't help it. Call me crazy, but after everything that happened today, I just laughed.

"Fine? I'm not fine, I've never been fine, when am I ever gonna be fine?" I kept on laughing, so much it hurt.

"Maya...?" Then before I knew it, my laughs turned into hiccuping breaths. Lucas pulled me to his chest, before the first tear could slip out.

"I take it Josh broke up with you..."

"How did you even know about that?" I ask, my voice muffled by his sweater.

"My best friend is dating his niece."

"It hurts, Lucas."

"I know."

"Shh, it's okay." He pulled my head up, wiping away my tears, and looking into my eyes, his emerald ones seeming to peer into my soul. "I'm here. I'll always be here."

I smiled sadly, burying my face into his chest and cried, as he puts his arms around me. But I didn't stop. I was going to keep on crying until it stopped hurting. And eventually...

It did.

A/N Oh my god, guys, I actually posted on the right day this week! And oh my god, thank you guys SO MUCH for over 100 views. Did you get that? I can't believe over 100 people read an liked this story.

There is only 2 more chapters left, but I will be writing another book soon after, so don't delete this from your library after the end, and I'll give you guys details on it.

-A