Chapter 21: You're Still In Love With Him

Maya's POV
The first half of the week, was... Well, there was not a single word to describe it. Only a combination of words can fully give it justice: awkward, interesting and extremely...boring. Riley is spending most of her time with Farkle. Not that I'm complaining, I'm really happy for her, and let me just say, they're really adorable. Josh hadn't called or anything, but I understood. It was a week before midterms at NYU. Lucas tried to talk to me a few times, but I wanted to wait until next week, after my date with Josh, to decide who, not to choose, but who I needed. Not that I need a guy, but in tough times, even I need someone, and let's be honest, as much as I hated to admit it, Riley's not always gonna be with me 24/7. Avoiding Lucas was easy when you have connections all over the school. This is where having the "King of the Geeks" and the school's head of gossip as your best friends comes in handy. I knew Lucas was coming, almost as soon as he did. And then, like that, I'm gone, leaving him searching for answers. My whole week was: wake up, eat, school, work, eat, sleep, repeat. See? Boring.

Until...

"Josh?"

"Hey, Maya. Need a ride?" He says, smiling, holding open his arms. I run and jump into them.

"What are you doing here?"

"What? I can't visit my niece and her friend, who just happens to be the most beautiful and amazing girl ever."

"You're here to spy on Riley and Farkle, aren't you?" I say, seeing right through him.

"A little bit, yeah." He said, laughing. "But I was also making sure we were still on for for Friday." He says, while playing with my fingers.

"Of course we are." I say, smiling. Right then, Lucas and Zay came out of the school, followed by Farkle and Riley, linking arms. Then it hit me, I didnt need to wait until next week! I didn't even wanna wait another minute. I just knew. I was kidding myself if I thought differently.

"Hey, Hart." Lucas says as the gang nears us. "Matthews." He nods politely toward Josh.

"Friar." Josh death-glares Lucas, not even bothering to nod.

"Ok, we're not doing this." Riley said stepping between Lucas and Josh.

"Doing what, Riley?" Josh asked, innocently.

"You know! Let's go home."

"Nah, I'm gonna drive Maya home." He says.

"Whatever." She turns toward Farkle. "Give me a ride?"

"Of course, come on." He says, leading her over to his midnight blue Porsche.

"Well, we got practice." Lucas says, grabbing Zay by the arm.

"For what?" I ask.

"Baseball." From Lucas, but at the same time from Zay:

"Ballet." At this, Josh's eyebrows raised. I just dismissed it.

"Don't ask."

"Fair enough." Then they were leaving.

"Hate you!" I say, solely out of instinct. He smiled.

"Hate you too, Hart!" He says, as he turns and runs off. I turned to Josh, a big smile on my face.

"So, ready to go?" I ask, and start to head to his car.

"Wait, Maya." He stops me by grabbing me by my arm.

"What is it?"

"I...think...we should...reschedule...our date."

"For when?" I demanded. He sighed.

"N-Never."

"Excuse me? Did I miss something?"

"I just think it's for the best..." He said as he tried to walk away.

"For you or for me?"

"For both of us, Maya!"

"How does this help me?! If you do this, you'll rip my heart again. You've done this shit so many times, I've lost count! Don't do this to me again."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Stay!"

"I can't, don't you understand that, Maya."

"No, I don't, cause you won't let me! What is it, Josh? Is... Is there someone else."

"Y-Yes." He finally admitted.

"Then why didn't you just tell me?"

"Because I was expecting you to tell me."

"Wait, who are you talking about?"

"Lucas!" He screamed.

"What about Lucas?"

"You're still in love with him!"

"Who says I ever was in love with him?"

"You did! Not even five minutes ago!"

"Ok, I don't know where you got all this from, but either way, you're wrong! I like you!"

"That may be true, but you love him."

"Ok, whereate you all getting this from?"

"Girls only say 'I hate you' to guys they love."

"What?"

"Goodbye, Maya."

"Wait, Josh, please don't go."

"Maya, don't. If you try to stop me, I'll never leave."

"I don't know if I can let you go."

"Then just close your eyes."

"What? Josh, why are you-"

"Maya... Just close your eyes and count to ten." He stood not even 10 inches away from me. I did.

One Mississippi...Two Mississippi... Three Mississippi... Four Mississippi...

I felt him lein and kiss my forehead.

Five Mississippi... Six Mississippi... Seven Mississippi...

I felt the pressure on my forehead leave, and so did his presence. I could feel it.

Eight Mississippi... Nine Mississippi... Ten Mississippi...

I opened my eyes. I saw no one, he was gone.

And then so was I.

A/N
Hey, I'm sorry it's so short. And I'm really sorry I didn't update on time again. Love you, guys!

-A