Chapter 16: What Are You Scared Of?

Lucas's POV
"Maya?! Maya!" I yelled as I burst through the gym doors. "Mayaaaaaaaa!" I yelled, one last time. No response. Dammit. I took off running to search for her.

Mr. Matthews?

Nope.

Mrs. Willis's room?

Nope.

Mr. Gristlemeyer?

I'm not even gonna bother looking in there. As I rounded the corner, I mentally kicked myself. God, I'm so stupid. There's only one place in the school she would be. And sure enough, as I neared the art room, I heard sniffles and whispers.

"Maya?" I called out as I opened the door.

"Go away, Lucas." She said, her voice cracking, making her sound less threatening.

"No." I sighed. She groaned, straightening up, her back still to me, making it impossible to see her face.

"Lucas, I said get out!" She yelled at me.

"And I said no!" I say, walking toward her, grabbing her hand, turning her around. My heart broke at her tear-stained cheeks, and shiny dark blue eyes, the sparkle that I loved so much, nonexistent. Before I could stop myself,  I reached up and wiped away her tears. She noticeably stiffened, and watched my every movement.

"What's wrong, Maya?"

"I just...don't like people touching me."

"No, Maya. You know what I'm talking about."

"Oh, drop it, Lucas!" She said, throwing her hands in the air.

"No! Not until you tell me why you were crying in the art room." I say, as she looks down at her black heels.

"Eiscerd..." She mumbled.

"Huh?"

"I'm scared, Lucas! Okay?"

"Scared of what? Of me? Don't you dare tell me you're scared of me."

"You broke me! Now you get to brag to all your buddies how you made Maya Hart cry! You can go and-"

"Stop!" I screamed. "God Dammit, Maya. Do you ever stop? For once in your damn life, would you just shut up and fucking listen to me?" I exploded.

"What? What could you possibly want from me now?"

"I want to understand." I say, simply.

"What?" She asked, clearly confused.

"How did I break you?"

"This isn't how it was supposed to be. You changed up the game. You were supposed be in love with Riley. She gets her happy ending. The perfect family, the prince-"

"And what do you get it?" I asked, and she hesitated.

"I... I get the happy best friend. And even if nothing else goes right in my life, I know I'll always have her. But if you change the plan that I have been following for the last 5 years, I won't. So to answer your question, you broke me because you made me fall for you."

A/N Hey, guys, sorry it so short, but hopefully the dramatic Lucaya scene made up for it. I love a breaking Maya and an exploding Lucas, hopefully you do, too. I promise I'll update again soon. I'm already working on a new character and the next chapter as you read this!