Chapter 8: Uncle Boing

Maya's POV
"Oh sorry!" I say as soon as I am stopped by a body. I look up now to see who the unfortunate person was before me.

"J-Josh?" I asked quietly.

"Hey, Maya." He greets with a smile.

"Josh what are you doing here? I thought you were in Philadelphia with your family over Winter Break."

"Actually, I was waiting for you. Then an hour passed, so I thought I would look for you." He said and scratched the back of his head, nervously.

"You were waiting here for an hour?" I asked, impressed.

"Well at your house. I just thought that-"

"Wait. Are you here because Riley told you about the dance and how I didn't have a-"

"No, no. I just need to talk to you, ya know...not in a highly dangerous New York alley."

"Right. We can go to my apartment, my mom's working late, so..."

"Yeah, sure. Anything to get out of this Popsicle you call a town."

"Whatever you say, Uncle Boing." I say laughing as I lead him to my apartment.

£

Josh's POV
She led me into her apartment and we took a seat on the couch.

"So what did you want to talk about?"

"Um, I'm gonna say it really fast so I can just...put it all out there."

"Okayy..." She says, scooting away from me, slightly.

"Um... Maya." I say as I took both her hands in mine.

"Yeah, that would be my name." She joked, obviously creeped out.

"I. Like. You." I said slowly, afraid of what she would say next. I mean, I know she liked me. But that was two years ago. I hadn't seen her since that incident in the dorm room. Who knows? She could've gotten over me. She could hate me now. She could be dating someone else. Like Dr. Turtleneck. Or worse. Mr. Howdy.

"What?"

"I really like you. A lot, actually. And I was wondering if you'd still be willing to go out with me?"

"Are you kidding me? Of course I would! When were you thinking?"

"Um... Saturday?" I say, but her face immediately face.

"Oh, Josh. You know I'd love to go out with you, but I have a dance Saturday."

"What? Like a school dance? That doesn't sound like you." I laughed.

"Yeah, but I have a date and he has this whole..thing planned. And I really don't wanna disappoint him."

"Oh. You have a date?" I say as I felt my left fist clench. She took her hand and covered my fist, reassuringly.

"Don't worry, it's just to make someone else jealous."

"Oh." I say as I unclench my fist. "And you're just doing this out of the goodness of your heart?" I asked, sarcastically.

"There may be a little something in it for me."

"Uh-huh. So, how about next Friday?"

"Sounds good." She smiles.

"Awesome. Hey, who are you going with?"

"What?"

"The dance. Who are you going with?"

"Lucas." She whispers, grimacing. I laughed for a minute, but when I realized she wasn't, I looked up. She had a very serious face on.

"Oh, you're being serious. You're going with Lucas Friar. Riley's crush and ex-boyfriend?"

"Actually, it's also ex-crush."

"Since when?"

"No idea why you're asking me."

"Man, you're gone for a month..."

A/N Hey guys, so I know this was a long one, that's why it took so long to write. But, it was a pretty important chapter, so I wanted to make it perfect. And in case you're wondering: even though one of the most important chapter circles around Joshaya, this is definitely a Lucaya story. So just hang in there. And please keep commenting and liking. I really appreciate it!