Chapter 12: His Moment

Lucas's POV
When they walked in, my jaw hit the ground. And it wasn't because Riley. It was Maya. She's perfect. Now, somehow, she's the one who looks like an angel, I thought as I stared. Her makeup matched her maroon dress, with black lace patterns. Her long, soft blonde locks were pulled to one side, in elegant curls. She's so beautiful. Wait. Did I just call Maya Hart beautiful? I mean, I always knew she was pretty, but now was different. She looked gorgeous, I couldn't bring myself to tear my eyes away from her. But I don't know why I was thinking these things about Maya. I like Riley...right? I thought I did. I mean, I always have, but now that I think about it, I'm not so sure, anymore. Maybe, just maybe, I did like Maya. Maybe I liked how she tries to "break" me. And how her chorus of ooohs that follows because she knows she can't, is like music to my ears, my favorite song. Maybe this little "game" we do back and forth is just an excuse for me to try to make her smile, without even noticing it. Ok, let's face it, I really like her. Maybe I always have, and was just too terrified to admit it to myself.

Maya Hart, what're you doin' to me?

£

We were just about out the door, when Mrs. Matthews stopped us.

"Wait! I need pictures!" She exclaimed, excitedly.

"No pictures, Mrs. Matthews, please." Maya begged, with a groan.

"Sorry, Maya. This is the Winter Ball, an important milestone."

"That's what you've said since Freshman year."

"Yes, but this year, you actually have a date." She said with a smile. Then I saw a rare sight. Maya Hart blushing. Because of me... I couldn't help but think.

"C'mon, kids." She says as I put my hands around Maya, her hands landing on top of them, her back facing me. Brandon and Riley followed suit. After about 10,000 pictures, Mrs. Matthews spoke up again.

"Now face each other and look into each other's eyes." She said and Mr. Matthews started sobbing. Here we go again. Mrs. Matthews looked back at her husband, sobbing at the kitchen table. She simply turned back to us and muttered,"Every year." After that, Maya turned around in my arms, putting her dainty hands on my chest. She looked up at me, shyly. I didn't notice anything around me, just Maya. How her hair framed her pale skin, and her dress fit her every curve perfectly. When she realized we couldn't tear our eyes from each other's, her fake, photogenic smile faltered, her beautiful face falling.

"Ok!" She yelled out all the sudden, tearing her frame out of my hold and threw her perfectly manicured hands up. "Enough pictures!" We said our goodbyes, and headed out the door.

Well tonight is going to be...interesting.