Chapter 2: Welcome Back

{Phineas}

The stars are funny things. Back on Earth, they can symbolize love or hope. But up here in Space, they're just pieces of rocks that are light years away.

I watched as a comet flew past the ship. It was bright and had a shimmering trail following it. Now, comets were a little different. Comets were in this lightyear but were rare to see. That was good considering my job.

"Hey, Phineas! We caught another one! Ready to make the impossible into the possible?" The captain of the ship came into my room and smiled at me.
"Carpe Diem!" I laughed and hopped off my bed.
"You know it! Hey, Ferb is in the wish room already so you better hurry." He said.

I ran to the wish room and beamed at my brother. "Where is it?"

He smiled and pointed to the new comet that had come in. I stared in surprise. It was white. It was bright.

"No wish for money or finding a boyfriend or anything?" I asked.
"No. It's a pure wish. It's from a girl. She wants to be someone special to...oh..." Ferb suddenly had a small smirk on his face as he continued listening to the comet's wish.
"What is it, Ferb?" I asked, anxious to find out.
He didn't reply and just rushed out of the room.
"Wait! Ferb!" I sighed and then stared at the comet.

I tried listening to its wish but I wasn't as good with that as Ferb was. All I heard was what Ferb had told me but that was it.

I stared at its bright light and my mind wandered to my life two years ago. When Ferb and I still lived with our friends and family back on Earth. Mom, Dad, Candace, Baljeet, Buford, and...Isabella...

Isabella. My first real friend. I smiled as I thought of the years and amazing Summer's we spent together. Ferb was my brother and someone I could tell everything to but...Isabella was just someone who has always been there for me. Someone special I guess. That reminds me...

I headed over to the Big Book of Wishes and sit down. I flipped through the pages until I got to the 'G' section and looked for her name. I found all kinds of Isabella's but no Isabella Garcia-Shapiro. I sighed.

I told everyone back home that Ferb and I accepted jobs as Space Engineers but actually, we're wish givers. There's an old tale that if you wish upon a shooting star, it'll come true. There's no magic or anything, just people who love to do the impossible. Like Ferb and I. We're the ones that make that seemingly impossible wish come true.

I'm surprised Isabella has never made a wish on a shooting star. She was always that kind of girl that believed in magic. Maybe she already has her one true wish?

The captain burst into the Wish Room,  taking me from my thoughts. "Phineas, pack your bags. You and Ferb are going home."
"W-What? Sir, are you firing us?" I asked.
"What? No, no, of course not." He laughed. "So this is the special once-in-a-lifetime wish, huh?" He asked, looking in awe at the comet.
"Wait, why are we leaving?" I asked.
"Oh, yes! This wish is very special and requires...an inside job."  The captain explained.
"We're...going back to Earth?" I asked, my smile growing.
"Boys, you're going home!"

2 months later

"Phineas! Ferb!" Candace ran to us and scooped us in her arms.
"Candace!" I laughed and we hugged back.
"Oh my god, I have missed you guys soooo much!" She said.
"Aw, we missed you, too, Candace!" I said.
"Candace, let them have a little space." Candace's husband smiled
"Ok, fine. Give him your bags. Mom and Dad are waiting at home." Candace told us.

As Candace drove into Danville, I sighed and beamed. "I missed Danville."
"It's just not the same without two genius boys to bust." Candace smirked.

We drove into the driveway and I hopped out. I took a deep breath. Danville was such a beautiful city. I opened the door to my childhood home.

"Surprise!"

I jumped and then laughed. All our friends were inside and threw balloons and streamers at Ferb and I.

"Welcome home, boys." Mom came up to us and smiled.
We stared at the little baby girl that she was holding in her arms. "Mom?"
"What? Oh no, boys. I forgot." Mom looked behind us and Candace took the laughing baby.
"Candace?" I asked.
"Yes, yes it is. Phineas, Ferb, I'd like you to meet your niece, Amanda." Candace beamed.

I looked at her soft orange hair and deep blue eyes. I felt happy, little tears try to slip out from my eyes and Ferb quickly handed me a tissues just as he quickly wiped his own eyes.

"We're...uncles?" I asked.
"Yes, yes you are." Candace smiled.
"How old is she?" I asked.
"She's only a year old." Candace replied.
"W-we missed her birth? Oh my god..." I said.

The doorbell ran and then Ginger and Vanessa came inside.

"Ferbs!" Vanessa smiled and then gave Ferb a hug. "I missed you."
"I missed you, too, Nessa." Ferb smiled, hugging her back.

Oh, yea. Ferb is dating Vanessa. Actually, now that I think about it, all of the people that are special to us are here. Except...

I looked for Ginger and found her talking to her boyfriend, Baljeet. "Ginger!"
She turned to me. "Oh, hey, Phineas! Welcome back!"
"Thanks! Um, you go to the same college as...as Isabella, right?" I asked.
"Yea! Why?" She asked.
"Um, is...is she here?" I asked.
Ginger stared at me. "O-Oh...um, no. Isabella is...uh, she's s-studying for a test..."
My smile fell but I quickly pushed it up. "Oh, that's ok! Thanks! Did she change her number? I was hoping I could go see her! Tri-State State College, wasn't it?" I said.
Ginger nodded, but now her eyes weren't meeting my gaze.
"Oh, ok then, thanks!" I said and went back to Ferb and Vanessa.

I listened to them talk about memories and then I tuned them out. Looking around, I noticed that...I was the only one that seemed lonely. Even though everyone was around me, I still felt lonely.

Isabella. I do miss her. Is that why I feel lonely?