Chapter 1: Do You Remember

{Isabella}

10 years ago

"Coming, Isabella?" Phineas asked me, with his hand held out for me.

I smiled and took it. We jumped into one of the tubes and slid down the ridiculously long water slide and crashed into the ocean. Along with all of our friends, we watched as Phineas and Ferb's 'Boat of Romance' sank into the bottomless sea.

Phineas grabbed my attention and pointed to Baljeet and his friend from India, Mishti. "Look."

"So what you're saying is, even though you are a girl, you still like to have fun?" Baljeet asked.
"Well, does this answer your question?" Mishti quickly reached behind her and splashed Baljeet with the salty ocean water.

They started splashing water at each other and laughing. Phineas looked over at me and smiled.

"I'm glad we're friends like that, Izzy." He smiled.

My heart felt conflicted. It hurt because he thought of me as just a friend but was using the special nickname that he rarely called me.

"I'll always be there for you." He continued and my heart fluttered.
"I love you, Phineas." I whispered.
"What?" He asked.
"Oh, um, n-nothing! Just...promise you won't leave me?" I asked.
He laughed. "Why would I want to leave you?"

I took his hand and smiled slightly, taking note of how his hands perfectly fit mine.

Present

I drummed my fingers on my desk as I tried to finish my biology homework. Usually, biology was a breeze but I'd been pretty distracted this past week. It's almost been two years since Phineas and Ferb went up to space to work as space engineers. Apparently it was a very discreet job because I haven't heard from them since a few months after they left.

Without them, Danville has been pretty quiet. Then, Buford, Baljeet, and I went to college and I heard from Millie, one of my Fireside alumni, that the new generation of Danville children just weren't the same without the Flynn-Fletcher boys' boredom-busting inventions.

My door flew open and my roommate and another of my fireside alumni, Ginger Hirano, danced inside.

"How's biology homework going?" She asked.
I sighed. "Not good. So whatcha doing?"
"What am I doing? Hmm, haven't heard you say that since...since Phineas and Ferb left? Oh, wait, is it that week?" She asked.

I nodded. To be honest, I was surprised myself when I found myself not saying my age-old catchphrase. Then it came back last year near the time of Phineas and Ferb's anniversary of leaving Earth.

"Well, don't worry, I'm sure they're fine up there. I mean, they are the Flynn-Fletcher brothers." Ginger assured me.
"I guess." I shrugged.
"Well, there's a party at the boys dorm and everyone is going. Wanna come?" She asked.
"No thanks. I think I'll just sit here and talk to Phineas and Ferb." I said, gesturing to the picture of me and the boys on the windowsill.
"Tell them I said hi!" Ginger smiled softly and then went out the door.

I sighed and abandoned my homework for the night. I closed the lights, leapt onto my bed, and grabbed my treasured photo. It was a picture of that fateful summer day when they built the rollercoaster. Probably the best day of my life because it meant that I was able to come over everyday to see him. Just watching him doing something he loved everyday and putting passion into it, maybe that was what pulled my heart towards him. Maybe it was that something that told me that he was the one. You know, it was looking at the night sky and your eye just someone lands on one star. You can't explain it, it just does.

Speaking of the night sky, I threw my window open and smiled at the sparkling stars that shined back at me.

I held my photo tightly. "Hey, Phineas. And Ferb. Whatcha doing? Remember that? My catchphrase from when we were ten? Yea...um, how are you? I bet space is amazing. Remember when we went to space and made that ice cream? That was fun...I bet being Space Engineers for NASA is even cooler. You know, I'm alright here. I'm acing all my classes and I'm closer to becoming a pediatrician. Remember? That was my dream."

I felt wet tears drip down my cheeks and I smiled. My heart clenched and my grip tightened on the photo.

"I miss you guys. D-do you miss me? I mean, why would you miss me? I'm just...your best friend since we were five. That's not important." I continued.

I sighed. This wasn't what I wanted to say. In a few minutes would be the anniversary of when they left me...even though he promised he never would...

"My dream...that's right. My dream...Phineas. You...you promised me. You promised me that you wouldn't leave me..b-but you did...why did you lie to me, Phineas Flynn? Moving to another country? Sure! Moving to space? That's a different story. Because...because I can't follow you. That was my real dream, Phineas Flynn. That you would someday notice me as not just your neighbor but as someone special to you. All those stupid and amazing inventions but you can't even notice me?!"

I wasn't holding back. I was letting my heart out. There wasn't anyone around, anyways. I need to say this. I would break if I didn't. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash of glimmer. A shooting star.

I stared at it and screamed. "I wish you'd come back to me, Phineas Flynn! I wish you loved me and saw me for who I really am and not just your friend! I wish to be someone to you! Just come back to me!"

Ginger ran into the room and pulled me into a hug. "Chief, it'll be alright. Let it out."
"I...want to be someone to him. Someone that plays an important role in his life that can stay there forever." I cried.
She shushed me and I admitted defeat to sleep.

Thanks for checking out the first chapter of "Wishing On The Stars"^+^