Chapter 15

It could have been us.

The moment my alarm started buzzing crazily on my bedside table, I know I am already awake. Another session with Harry today, it doesn’t really pay much, plus I have to work on my day off but I guess it’s probably like a bonus for me since it is Harry.

After taking a bath I put on my prettiest dress even if he won’t see it. I’d spend so much time doing my make up even if Harry won’t be able to see how I look. When I was downstairs I barely ate breakfast, I will eat with him I thought.

I rode the train heading to Harry’s house and saw Lorraine just leaving the platform. I dodged and hid on the wall just beside the ticket booth but it was too late.

“Hey Celine!” she shouted and waved her hand, “Where are you going? I’ve been meaning to call you.”

I tried my hardest to smile but all I ever gave her is a weird and awkward smirk. “Just heading back to Incheon.”

“I thought your family moved back here in Seoul?” she said arching her eyebrows at me as if dreading to know why I’m suddenly going back to Incheon.

The guilt of keeping Harry’s secret is consuming me. Having to lie to my friends and family about his death is eating me with guilt but it is the only way that I can be with him all by myself. Call me selfish but I think he was taken away from me too many times that I’d do anything just to have him back.

“I…”

“Don’t tell me you’re also giving Harry letters.”

“Wh---what?”

“Summer’s been doing it everyday. I plan to take her with me here in Seoul, I was just looking for an apartment for us so she wouldn’t feel the need to send Harry letters all day.” She showed me the brochures she’s been holding.

“Do you know any good places here?”

I picked one brochure randomly and held it out to her. “Here, this one’s pretty good.”

“You think?” I looked at my clock and I’m already 15 minutes late for my appointment, the train back to Incheon takes at least 45 minutes I better cut it short with Lorraine.

“Yeah.”

”I think so too. I will e-mail this to Summer.” She said smiling at me. How can Summer be so lucky? All her friends ever thought about is her and yet all she ever cares about is Harry.

“Hey, Lorraine I’m in a rush. I’m really sorry but I have to go.”

“You haven’t told me where you’re going yet? Harry’s grave?”

I just nodded in reply.

“Then why aren’t you holding flowers?” she said smiling, probably just teasing me but I still feel cold sweat running down my spine. “It’s nice seeing you Cel! Too bad I can’t come back with you to Incheon. Some other time?”

“Ne. I’ll go first.” (Yes.) I smiled, relieved.

“Take care!”

“You too.”

I sighed in relief when Lorraine was nowhere in sight. Great, just the thing I need for a guilt-free quality time with Harry. As if I needed sarcasm to top my lies.