Chapter 3

I was twelve when Harry stopped going to school so he can start high school with me.

Harry is one of a kind. And I’ll tell you everyday how amazing he is. I feel lucky to have him; though he often say he is lucky to have me. It was probably my nonstop rambling about how cool it would be to have him as my classmate that made him beg his mom to stop for a year so we can go to school together. Her mother said yes, and squealed with excitement. My mother talked about it nonstop. Lorraine and Stephan died of mushiness.

Celine isn't a bit happy.

I remember that night during their graduation party when he told me the news. As usual, we have this huge gathering for Lorraine, Stephan, Celine and Harry for finishing primary school. And all of them are excited to where they’ll be applying for high school.

Stephan wanted to train first in acting. Lorraine begged her mom to pay extra classes for her ballet lessons. Celine wanted to go to an elite school. When it was Harry’s turn he said, “I’ll go with Summer after she finishes primary school.”

“You’re going to stop for a year just because she said so?” I can hear the bitterness in Celine’s voice. Taste it even. Her chinky eyes seemed to vanish together with her lips as she tried to compose herself. She is fuming and I can see imaginary smokes coming out her ears.

“She didn’t ask me.” That was all he said and then he smiled. He looked at me with his famous lopsided smile. I love it when he smiles to me like that. It was as if we share a secret that only the two of us know.

Lorraine just sat there alternating her looks from Harry to me and then giggling nonstop while smacking Stephan hard on the arm. Maybe it was because Harry is falling in love with me, that’s what they say. That’s what all they told me, but I didn’t know. I don’t have a clue back then because I know he’ll tell me right away. But he didn’t.

During my last year in primary school he insisted that he walks me to and from school. That’s how he met Jonathan. Jonathan is my classmate and he’s been pissing me off since kindergarten.

I caught him once commanding some of our classmates during second grade to sing the “k-i-s-s-i-n-g song” whenever they see the both of us walking. After class I was sent to the Principal’s Office because Celine knew how Jonathan had that black bruise in his left eye.

Jonathan stopped teasing me when he saw Harry insisting to hold my bag when he fetched me one day from school. I think. But he did introduce himself to Harry that day; they shook hands and talked about their favorite manga series and anime series. Turns out Jonathan watches discovery channel too, as a kid. The next thing that happened was a blur. They became instant best friends.

When we all started high school, Jonathan became our constant companion. There was one time during one school dance when Jonathan confessed what he felt for me. I told him I already have Harry. He said he already knows.

He kissed me lightly on the cheek that night and promised to take care of me when Harry is not around. I told him Harry will never leave. “In case he is not around.” He insisted.

I didn't tell Harry about that night. But later on he knew. I think that's one reason why he entered the army.

It amazes me how much pain Jonathan can take, but I guess that's what you do when you care about someone. There will be certain rules that you must abide. Because seriously, you just don't steal your best friend's girlfriend. All guys know that.

Jonathan followed me as I walk home that night when he found me behind the huge rock that serves to be my hiding place. “I told you I’ll take care of you when Harry’s not around.”

“I can manage.” I said. Trying to make my voice sound cold and strong, he didn’t believe me.

“He’s dead Summer.” He stopped and for a moment there I can feel the cold air biting through my skin as if telling me that Jonathan is telling the truth.

I didn’t answer. I’m sick and tired of all the people who are easily swayed. I know in my heart that Harry is not dead. How can they give up just like that?

“It’s been two days since he was gone missing. Maybe it was the same as…”

I turned around and walked to him fast, and then the next thing I knew the palm of my hand landed hard on his face. 

“Same as what happened to my father? Is that what you’re implying?” I can hear my own voice tremble with rage as I felt hot tears fall down my face. It was the first time I cried.

“I didn’t mean…” but I didn’t let him finish.

“How many times to I have to tell you people that he is not dead?! He is not dead okay?! He is alive! And he will come back! Harry is not dead! He promised me that he won’t leave me! Harry…”

He pulled me close to him and hugged me. I can feel my body shaking with mostly fear of having to finally realize that he is indeed dead.

“Harry is not dead.” I said, my voice muffled in his jacket.“He can’t be dead.”

I can feel his hand brushing my hair just like Harry used too. His voice humming the only tune that relaxes me when I’m mad. How did he knew all that?

“I’m here Summer. I’m always here.” He sounded almost like Harry that I felt confused.

I push him back and started running. I can hear him screaming my name but it didn’t matter. I don’t need him. Do you hear me Harry? I don’t need him! I need you!

When I reached our house I went straight to my bedroom and wrote him again another letter.

Quote

Harry,

It’s been months since your last letter. How are you doing? Are they treating you well? Are you sure you have something to eat? Do you want me to visit you?

When will you answer my letters Harry? I sent hundreds but you never sent one.

Today Jonathan found out about my hiding place. He knew how to calm me down, he even hummed my favorite song. By any chance did you tell him that?

Answer back Harry! Please answer back! It scares me that the longer you wouldn’t answer, the easier that I will forget. I don’t want to lose you Harry. Please. Prove them that you’re not dead.

Always, 

Summer

I am just about to go out and drop my letter to the post office when my mother stopped me. She handed me a white envelope and my hands started to tremble. 

But it wasn’t a letter from Harry, it was from the military camp.