Chapter 23

Because that’s how love is supposed to be right? Selfless.

One year after

I have been living with Summer, Stephan and Lorraine since the time we left. I wasn’t supposed to go, that night when they’re leaving, I just went to Summer’s house to say goodbye but seeing her cry like that I just knew I have to stay and be with her. A month after that we’re dating. A few months after she’s back to smiling and laughing and making silly jokes again. There were a few times when I’d catch her crying and I’d let her lean on my shoulder and when she starts explaining I just shake my head and not let her talk instead. It will hurt, if I hear what she has to say, because I know it is always be about that one man he left behind.

“We’re out of milk!” she shouts from the kitchen and I quickly put on my shirt and get ready for work.

Summer became a writer, can you believe that? All her life she dreamed of becoming one and all her dreams were fulfilled here in Seoul. That’s what she said. “I like the new Summer.” She’d always say. 

“I just got some yesterday!” I complain while tapping the milk carton and not a drop of milk fell.

“Blame it on Stephan, it’s not water dear.” Lorraine says and kisses Stephan.

“Ugh. Just because you guys are married doesn’t mean you can display freely your affection.” Summer waves them off.

“Like I don’t catch you and Jonathan…”

“No. Please just…” she says and we all laugh.

I drive Summer to work and head to my own when I saw a familiar lady walking around Seoul Orthopedic Hospital.

I stop at nearest curve and got out of the car. I walk towards her and suddenly she notices me. “Jonathan?”

“Eomonim?” (Aunt?) Harry’s mother rushes towards me and hugs me. 

“How are you doing?” she lets me go and smiles widely at me.

“Why are you here?” I ask.

“Harry is getting his check ups. Jonathan, he can now walk.”

She led me straight to Harry’s room and sure enough he is standing on his own.

“Harry?” he looks at me but there’s still emptiness in his eyes.

“You can see right?” I ask.

His sad smile was his response. He is getting there, he said. His doctors are doing the best they can so he can see again.

“Do you want to talk to Summer?”

“I thought you’d never ask.”

I reach for my phone and dial her number. Silently cursing myself that if ever they meet again I will be out off the picture, all my efforts down the drain in an instant.

She picks up at the second ring, “Hello? Jonathan? Why? Can you please call me again…”

”Wait this is important it’s about Har---“

“Well I’m currently in between a shouting session right now my editor and publishers are screaming right in front of me. Call me later?”

And without waiting for my reply she hangs up.

“Just give this to her, for me.”