Chapter 19

Please.

I packed my bags and dragged it downstairs. My mom looked at me with her sad, lonely eyes. “Are you sure about this, Jonathan?” she asked. I just nodded my head and smiled at her.

I know that didn’t do much to convince her, but she smiled back. She’s my mom after all. No matter what decisions I make she’ll be there to guide me. I walk towards her and hugged her. “Call me when you feel lonely.”

She led me to the door and hailed a cab for me. I look at her and she just stood there smiling. You’re not going out of the country anyway Jonathan, I told myself. You’re just going to Seoul. Find a place there and prove that you deserve Summer, and maybe, maybe you can bring her back again.

I saw Lorraine when I reached the station; she waved at me with a huge smile plastered on her face. I walked towards her and sat beside her.

“Where’s Summer?” I asked, careful that my voice won’t show how excited I am to see her.

She smiled cockily and nudged me on the arm. “Just so you wait Jonathan. She’ll come.”

We were an hour and a half early for our departure, I don’t know why Lorraine asked me to come here early, maybe she wanted to talk though I’ve been sitting beside her for minutes now and she still hadn’t spoke.

“I’m sorry about how I treated you when all you ever did was to comfort Summer.” Her head is bent down but I can see her smiling.

“I know you meant well Lorraine. It’s all in the past.” I touched her shoulders and then she raised her head up and looked at me.

“Harry is not dead.” She said her voice careful.

I almost chocked my words when she said it. Though I try to hide it I know that my eyes still shows how surprised I am that she knew all about it.

“I asked you to come here early to tell him that he should let Summer go. That you’ll take care of her. That he doesn’t need to worry. Tell him…” she wiped the tears that are now streaming down her face and then breathed as if taking in strength to continue talking. “Tell him to get better. Tell him that we’re sorry we weren’t there when he needed us most. He’s our friend Jonathan, and I didn’t even try to let him explain. I was too focused on our pain that I forgot that he’s hurting too. Tell him okay? That you’ll take care of Summer and won’t hurt her.”

She took my hand and held it in hers; I can see how much it means to her, and how much she wants Harry to know that he doesn’t have to worry about anything else. If I have friends like his I wouldn’t have to lie about my condition. If I have friends like his I would’ve let them in my life and not push them away. But like Lorraine, Harry is too proud. Too proud to admit to himself that he cannot do it alone.

I clenched my fist and tried hard not to burst my anger on Lorraine. I stood up and told her I’ll tell him. She hugged me tight and told me that when I return Summer will be there.

Summer will be there.

The cab is just a few meters away from Harry’s house when I saw Celine storm out of the house. I wonder what upsets her this time. I didn’t let it through me; she has a tendency of exaggerating things a little too much.

I reach for the door and opened it, I walked straight to Harry’s room. When I was getting nearer I can here distinct sobs. I stood there frozen at Harry’s door when I saw Summer kneeling down at Harry’s bed, his head turned away from her.