Chapter 2

Darjeeling

It was not a silent morning as usual; she could see black clouds covering all over the sky. Chandni took out the umbrella from her huge cabinet that was incredibly old, indeed that was her Grandmother's old style, typical black color with a little crown on its top.

Wearing her blue jeans, high boots, her black color top and a small jacket with red stole, red is her favourite color. She particularly is fond of that color, all her wardrobe mostly had red-colored clothes, Chandni started walking towards the tea estate, she disliked rains, but she had no choice, every day she walked all over her tea estate build by her Grandfather. The tea estate was big and had many women workers over the place.

Chandni liked talking to all the women who stood standing every day from morning to evening plucking the tea leaves and putting them in their big baskets that they hung behind them.

Chandni was now familiar with their families and children as well. She was respected and loved all over the place, even though Chandni was proud but at the same time she was emotional and overly sensitive.

Most of the women workers in the tea estate always looked at Chandni for her wonderful smile, the moment Chandni smiled, it seemed thousands and millions of flowers gathered from heaven are showering all over the place and her sweet voice made everybody smile.

The clouds had covered entire place making it dark. People say it was not good and those who live in a small village down the hill regarded it as a bad omen.

It was 8:00a.m and as usual Chandni walked towards her tea estate that wasn't far from her house, she preferred walking rather than driving as it was difficult for her to drive in a narrow path around the hills and someone has to be an expert driver to drive around the area.

With a black umbrella in one hand and a small bag in her other Chandni walked briskly towards the path. Her high boots prevented any dust or mud on her clothes, as she always wanted herself clean, her red stole was nicely covered around her neck with long silky hair left open.

Chandni's beautiful eyes were looking for the manager of the estate Mrs Verma who was working in the tea estate from many years. Mrs Verma managed everything very nicely and was very particular about giving all the reports to Chandni as Meenakshi had instructed the manager to work up with her daughter also Mrs Verma loved Chandni as her own daughter.

Chandni walked towards the office located in the middle of the tea estate, it was not so big as it only managed the daily workers. The main office was in the central city area with a huge building that her mother managed after her Grandfather's death. Chandni knocked at the office door "good morning Verma Aunty."

A dark lady with curly hair wearing mustard sari looked at Chandni who was always particular about the time. Mrs Verma always waited for Chandni's lovely smile "i am very well, how are you Chandni?"

Chandni never treated Mrs Verma like her employee but always looked up at her as a family member.

Mrs Verma as usual gave her the daily report for the previous day "there are few more ladies who want to work here, i have written their names as they will start from next week".

Chandni took the report "thanks Aunty, i will go for a round."

After looking at the reports and daily meeting minutes she went outside the small office. Chandni's fair and innocent face looked up the dark clouds, she blinked her eyes feeling the first few drops of rain on her beautiful cheeks, she quickly went back inside the small office.

Mrs Verma turned towards Chandni who started wiping her face with a small towel "Chandni, you shouldn't go out today, look at the weather and i have never seem such a dangerous weather in my life. You must have stayed at home. Also, we don't have any workers today, you know they all consider it bad and it's difficult to work in the rain".