Part II : Chapter XXVI

Part Two: Chapter Twenty-Six.

Time Bomb.

                      "This isn't happening....no. This can't be happening." I muttered, running a hand through my hair as I began to pace back and forth. How could I have let this happen? How could I have been so naive to think that Fury wouldn't do this behind my back?

                          "Astryd, take a deep breath and calm down." Steve instructed watching me with worry. Both of his hands gripped my face tightly, ensuring that I was looking at him in the eye and listening. Taking a deep breath, he released his grip on me and I calmed down the best I could.

                              "I should've known better," I murmured.

                           "Come on, let's go show this-" He lifts up the gun cautiously."-to Tony and the others. They aren't going to be too happy about this, either."

**

                        "Just who I wanted to see." I said, spotting Fury inside the lab along with Bruce and Tony through the clear glass window. Just looking at him made me boil with anger. I stormed into the room, Steve following.  Steve roughly threw the gun onto the table, staring all all of them while all I could do was glare at Fury.

                         "Phase 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D using the cube to make weapons of mass destruction." I spat, explaining to Bruce and Tony. Out of the corner of eye, I saw Fury straighten up, his body tensing up.

                        “Sorry, computer was moving a little slow for me.” Steve said.

                       “Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that-“

                     “Oh but it does!” I interrupted angrily, silencing Fury immediately. The look in his eye was something I've never seen before, a mixture between fear and remorse, but it wavered into a cold hard stare instead.

                      “I’m sorry, Nick. What were you lying?” Tony butted in, twisting the monitor screen to show Steve, Fury and I. Blueprints of phase 2, the tesseract, and how to produce masses of them were displayed on the screen.

                           “I was wrong, Director. The world hasn’t changed a bit.” Steve remarked.

                        “How could you? I trusted you with the tesseract! You promised me that you wouldn’t use if for your own selfish purpose. You brought this war upon us. Not Loki, you did!” I growled walking up to Fury and jabbing my finger at him infuriated. Steve gripped my shoulders lightly, pulling me closer to him and restraining me from losing control and letting it all out on Fury.

                          “I promised that it would be safe in my hands.”