Part I : Chapter V

This has been edited as of June 12, 2013.

Part One. Chapter Five.

Willowdale's Plaza.

   The bathroom was dim, only three of the five lights lined up on top of the mirror were working. It gave the room an eerie look, complementing my complexion in a ghastly way. It wasn’t entirely the lights fault I realized as I stared at my reflection.

      I was different.

    My skin was paler than usual with a faint shade of a blue as were my eyes. The veins under my eyes that were normally not visible were now. They were a dark blue color matching the veins that stood out on my arms and to the symbol that was tattooed to the palm of my hands. But nothing compared to my eyes. They were the strangest shade of the blue, and in the iris, there were swirls of silver that seemed to be moving as it were a fire in the darkest of nights.

  What was I?

   This can’t be me…,”this can’t be me,” I murmured to myself, trying to find comfort in my words but I found none.

     A gasp escaped my lips as the symbols tattooed onto my palms lit up, and I felt a strange power ignite and run through my veins. Before I knew it, there were orbs of fire floating on the palm of my hands. I gave out a shocked cry and fell on the floor, landing on my butt. My eyes widened as the bottom of the sink began to dissolve almost under the heat provided by me.

   “No.” I clenched my hands, and took a deep breath, and just as it had done the other day, the fire was gone. I recognized the way I felt. My eyes widened as I remember my first day of public school. My fists were clenched, blue sparks began to shock the teachers and students, and suddenly, the lights had gone out. I was the cause of the school’s lights going out.

     “Astryd! You okay in there?” Erik called out as he knocked on the door. We had just gotten back from the Fosters. Traveling through an airplane was tiring and boring. We arrived back in Willowdale a few hours earlier around five o’ clock. As boring and tiring as it was, I’d love to do it again. Jane Foster was a good friend, and hanging out with her, was nice.

     Not daring myself to speak, I opened the door. I nodded my head towards my room and he nodded in agreement, and followed me into my room. I dove under the covers and Erik tucked me in. He sat right next to me on the bed and reached for the bed side table where a book full of children stories rested. He had bought it a few days ago since he wasn’t good at making up his own or remembering any. I stopped him with my arm. “Can I tell you a story tonight?”

    “Sure.” He replied, not hiding the shock from his voice. I leaned into him, my head resting on his arm since that’s where I reached him. I smiled, knowing the story I was about to tell him. It had come from a dream I had not too long ago about one of the princes that lived in the kingdom I dreamed about.

   “There once was a mischievous prince, who wanted nothing more than to be equal to his brother…,” I began.