Part I : Chapter VIII

Part One. Chapter Eight.

Mischievous Offer.

   It's been days since I've been locked in this room. No book to read, entertainment to watch, or someone to talk to. I'm isolated and on the verge of being driven insane. I had to get out, but with Director Fury heavily watching over me, I was stuck in my own cage of madness.

   I glanced at the only window in my room, but all I saw was my reflection. Sometimes, when Fury felt generous, he would take away the window effect that blocked me from seeing anything and I'd get to watch agents walk by. It was entertaining to me. Oh my, Astryd, you truly are going insane...I thought. I threw my head back and hit myself hard in the head. I let out a groan, and banged my head again against the wall a few more times.

   "Astryd Selvig is injuring herself." The computerized voice, who has been monitoring all my movements, said in its boring, standard tone.

   The door immediately slid open and I stopped banging my head, startled. Director Fury strode in watching me warily. "Miss Selvig, I would appreciate it if you would stop harming yourself." He said his voice tinted with concern.

   "I am sorry, but this is driving me insane. I just want to go home...I want to see my father." I begged, and Fury seemed to soften up at the mention of the word father. It was true. I longed to see Erik, but that wasn't under my options at the moment. 

  "Astryd, you and I both know why-" Fury's hand flew up to his earpiece mid-sentence and he turned away from me, facing the door. "Agent Coulson." He addressed over the Bluetooth. My hearing senses picked up, curiously.

   "You found it? Have you gotten some of your men to surround the area...Good...What do you mean by radioactive...Selvig is in on this... Yes, I want you to find out about him...you say he calls himself Thor?-" Nick sneaks a glimpse at me, but I quickly turned away pretending to be interested in the wall.-"Just keep your watch on him...I got to keep my own eyes on another possible threat." With that being said, Nick hung up. 

   His full attention turned to me, and he caught me staring at him both curiously and puzzled. Thor, I thought. Why did that name sound so personally familiar to me? I know that Thor is a Norse god. Erik told me about Thor and Loki when he realized the similarity to the princes in my bed time stories to the Norse gods. He found it odd that I knew so much about them, especially since Erik grew up with their stories as a child. I shook my head, snapping out of my thoughts. "How many times do I have to repeat it to you? I am no possible threat to anyone."

 "Then, why are you so reluctant about telling me what happened the other day?"

 I didn't answer; instead I let my gaze leave him and folded my arms across my chest.

 "Or do you not remember?” He said, and there was something in his voice that gave me the chills. He sighed. “I don't know how much longer you’re going to keep this up, but I'm willing to play the game, Astryd. You won't tell me anything, that's fine. I just won't let you leave."