Part II : Chapter XXXI

Part Two: Chapter Thirty-One.

 The Other Side.

     Adrenaline coursed through my body as I ran through the city, following Steve. We tried to take down as much of the Chituari as we could, but it was of no use. As long as that portal was opened, they would never stop coming. I let my eyes wander up to the portal and anger built up in me as I stared at it helplessly.

    There has to be a way to stop this. I can't go down this easily. If Thanos asked me to join his forces, it was because he knew that I was powerful. He wouldn't have asked me for help, if I could be taken down so easily by scraps of metal...

       "Astryd, watch out!"

      A force pushed me and brought me down to the ground with great impact. I landed on my back with a groan and my eyes widened as I saw a Chituari less than a few inches away from my face. It roared menacingly, its toxic breath sickening me. I brought my fist up the best I could and punched it but the alien didn't falter. 

     Before the Chitauri could do me any harm, it was sent flying from the heavy impact from Steve's shield. Like always, his shield bounced off one of the demolished police cars and went back to him. In one swift movement, he grasped my hand and had me up on my feet.

      I was in a daze and crashed into his chest. His arms wrapped around me securely before steadying me, so I could gain my balance back. Those penetrizing blue eyes of his stared into mine worriedly almost immediately.

         "Thank you," I breathed. For a moment, we both caught up with our breaths, taking advantage that we had cleared the area we were in of Chitauri for now. His gaze never left mine. I shifted uncomfortably and turned my back to him, wanting to walk away before he cou-

     "You never get caught off guard, especially when you're fighting." Steve stated and I bit my lip, fumbling with the cuffs around my wrist. "Are you okay? If not, we can arrange for Fury to-"

      I turned around. "There's no need for that. I'm fine."

    Lying to Steve wasn't easy, because he always catches me when I do. But saying I'm okay, makes me feel better rather than admitting than I'm not. I didn't want to appear weak, even though I am. I'm so accustomed to being in control, to being able to take care of myself that I don't think I can bear having it any other way. Saving others rather than being saved...

        "Astryd." He sighed.

      "It's these cuffs. They're irritating me, but don't worry. I'll find a way to get them off." I replied being half honest with him. I couldn't continue to lie to him, but I had to, and telling half the truth is the closest I'd ever get to lying to him and succeeding. Also, it's not like I could have a talk with Steve when we're in the middle of a war.

       He walked forward and reached out for my hand, his index finger tapping it as he inspected it. "Iridium," he murmured and his eyes met with mine again full of concern. He remembered and I scolded myself for telling him about it earlier.