Part II : Chapter XVIII

Part Two. Chapter Eighteen.

Astryd's Mission. 

                    Two familiar black ravens flew above my head as Steve and I both stood at the foot of the entrance of the hover craft. I glanced up, smiling at the birds that I’ve grown to know and love. Fury wanted us to get to S.H.I.E.L.D’s helicarrier as soon as possible to meet the others, and he opposed to my way of traveling. He's still a bit reluctant when it comes to my powers. I stepped forward, and when I noticed Steve hadn’t followed, I glanced back. “What’s wrong?”

                “Nothing,” he lied, walking up to meet me. Not wanting to question him further, we both walked into the hover craft, the door closing behind us.

                “Agent Selvig and Captain Rogers,” Phil Coulson greeted with a smile, beaming at the sight of Steve. I hid my smile. This was Agent Coulson’s first time meeting Steve, and I know just how much of a fan he is.

                “Where were you yesterday? I went out to look for you, but found you gone.” I wondered, walking up to greet Phil with an appropriate handshake. He took my hand, and suddenly he pulled me into a hug.

                “I was there.” He replied softly. I dug my head into his chest, feeling the tears come back up again. He was there. He got to see Erik before… I didn’t even dare to finish that sentence. I know Erik is alive; I feel it. The scary thing is not knowing where he is and if he is alright. It didn’t help me at all that we had a small argument before he left, too. “I’m sorry, Astryd.”

                I pulled away, hastily wiping at my eyes and nodding. Now is not the time to be vulnerable.

                “You’re not alone.” He reminded, sending me a reassuring look.

                I smiled half-heartedly. Agent Coulson then turned his attention to Steve who stood back respectively during our moment. He straightened up before outstretching his hand towards Steve. “It’s nice to meet you, Captain. I’m Agent Coulson, but you can call me Phil.”

                Steve took his hand and shook it. “Likewise.”

                Phil then excused himself and walked up to the pilot, beginning a conversation with him. I turned to Steve, catching him as his eyes wandered around the helicarrier. His gaze finally landed on me and a small blush crept on his cheeks. I raised an eyebrow, curiously.

                “I’m still not used to this high tech stuff.” He explained sheepishly.

                “It took me time to get used to it too. You should’ve seen my face when I first rode in a car, I was awestruck.” I replied reassuringly.

                “How do you always know what to say?” He wondered out loud, a small smile forming onto his face. I lightly laughed and smiled at him back. I honestly didn’t ever think he’d say something like that.