Beer-mories

Derek’s POV:

The afternoon was coming to an end and the twilight had announced its arrival.

Driving with Molly had been a sort of tense experience in the beginning. I tried not to show concern about her health, the trip needed to be as comfortable as possible. Jason had given me a very detailed explanation about everything that had been going on during my absence. Even though I trusted Jason it had lit a small flame of jealousy in my chest when he mentioned Molly and him had been living together alone just the two of them. But I had seen no signs of them showing romantic feelings towards one another so I didn’t make a deal out of it.

The hours I’d been waiting for Molly to wake up had been very challenging. I’d spend most of the time sitting in Molly’s room next to her bed, but Jason tried to throw me out a couple of times forcing me to eat something and he’d stand guard by her side. The few times he succeeded I’d been talking to Bonnie. She seemed to know a lot about magic, and she was asking some questions about the spell my father’s partner had used. I had some questions for her too about possible side effects to the spell that had been used on me, and she tried to give me some answers even though she couldn’t be 100% sure since she didn’t know all the details about the spell yet.

I hadn’t been feeling so comfortable at first when I entered the house of vampires – it was Damon’s house after all. I calmed down when I noticed how relaxed Jason was considering the circumstances, he was usually very skeptical. Everyone seemed so tired and relieved, so I had no reason to feel alert. At least I allowed myself to calm down. But I couldn’t let my guard down when Klaus was present. He of all had a vibe I couldn’t ignore. He was the guy responsible for my father’s insane plan and actions, he was the reason I had been caught inside my own body, he was the reason Molly was hurt. I didn’t trust him, even though he’d helped to take down my father. Of course he wanted to help when he was the hunted one. I didn’t like the fact that Molly had been the one barging with him. But I knew she and the others had done what they thought was necessary when trying to figure out how to rescue me and stop my dad. So much had slipped my attention and I had an inner struggle not to go outside and tear something apart to control my frustrations. But I controlled myself and tried to find some quiet next to Molly’s bed – the place I wanted to be.

 There had been no words invented to describe how relieved I was to see Molly back to life as human. She was all her, and the stories she told in the car when listening to her music convinced me she was going to be okay. Even though the music made her relive childhood memories, many of them involving her best friend Lisa and filled her eyes with glimpses of sadness, she enjoyed telling me about her life in Denmark. It almost made the trip back from Mystic Falls seem like we’d been tourists paying the city a visit only as a stop on our road trip. How did she do that? She even made me feel… normal.

I started looking for a place to eat and sleep since Molly’s stomach had started churning. I’d promised Rose and Jason I wouldn’t hurry back, they’d like to move Molly’s stuff back in her old room and turn things back to normal before we got back so Molly wouldn’t have to worry about anything practical. We’d had almost an hour of silence, she was reading a book she found in her car she’d forgotten all about and it was consuming her attention. I liked that about her. She didn’t need my constant attention she could be around me without interacting with me. Yet I felt like catching her attention.

“So.. what do you say to Dinner? There’s a motel a few miles away from here, we should stop and eat.” I asked her.

She lowered the book and folded a corner on one of the pages in the book before closing it.

“You read my mind.” She said and smiled. “I’m starving.”

“So I noticed.” I responded.