Nightmares from the past

Derek’s POV (flash back):

”Hey Jason, it’s Derek. Dad’s coming home tonight so I wondered if you wanna hang in the woods? I’ll steal one of his most expensive bottles of scotch? If I have to get in trouble I’ll at least have a good time!” I asked Jason on the phone.

I just wasn’t in the mood for dealing with my dad tonight. I was moody and I knew there’d be an awkward tension between us the minute he’d step inside the house. Sometimes he’d even forget to say hi and just ask for grades that had been handed out while he’d been gone. If they didn’t satisfy him he’d come with his long speech about education and family values. Afterwards he’d start blaming mom for not doing a good job raising us. It’d been two and a half month since he’d been home and mom, Laura, and I had a good time just being us in the house. I could feel mom were anxious about dad’s return, ever since she got the message she’d been cleaning the house and made sure everything was perfect for his return. Why would she want to stay with him? Is that how love works? You just put up with your partner’s shit no matter how far out the person is? I’d tried to ask her about dad and if he’d always been a prick, but she’d been very uncomfortable and didn’t want to talk about it or have me mention it again. I admired her a lot, but I felt sorry for her too. She deserved to be happy. The way dad made her feel made me even more angry.

“Sure, I’ll meet you there in a bit?” Jason asked. I knew I could always count on him, he was the only person who really knew about my dad and his ways. Besides, he didn’t have curfews and such since he was living with his grandmother Rose and she let him do about everything.

A few hours later….

“HAHAHAHA oh Gosh I’m wasted.. how much is… wait.. is that sirens?” I asked Jason while grabbing the bottle of scotch.

I was lying on my back in the grass. Jason had been imitating one of our classmates who tried to become a part of the basketball team who failed the task miserably. Jason had stopped fooling around and stared intensely into the dark forest and concentrated on listening.

“Hmm.. seems like it. We should check it out!” he suggested like it was an invitation for an exciting adventure.

We started running towards the sound of the alarming vehicles and suddenly I was stung by worry – was it coming from my place? I accelerated and Jason was almost not able to keep up.

“*huff huff* what’s the hurry?” he asked when he came close to me again.

“I think it’s coming from my place!” I yelled back at him.

I could see the thick smoke rising in the sky and I saw the tips of huge flames over the tree tops. I was sure, it was coming from my house. When we reached the drive way a horrible sight met my eyes. The whole house was on fire and firefighters were desperately trying to kill the flames. The smell of the smoke sickened me and the heat of the fire was touching my skin. With a pounding heart and sweat drops running down my face I started looking for my family, but I couldn’t see them standing in the crowds of people who’d gathered around the house. Jason was standing next to me.

“Where are they? Jason, you go that way, they need to be here somewhere!” I ordered and pointed in the direction I wanted him to search for my relatives. It was hard keeping myself focused when I had half a bottle of whiskey running through my veins and brain. I saw an ambulance and rushed over there to talk to the people standing around it.

“Have you seen my family?” I asked desperately.

The ambulance driver looked at me with a puzzled face expression and asked: