A single heartbeat

I looked around to see what made Tammie fall to the ground, but all I could see was Jason trying to get free of his chains and Sam who frantically ran towards her fallen cousin. I had trouble gaining an overview of the situation and I was split emotionally, because as much as I wanted to check up on Derek I wanted to rush over to Tammie who’d landed a few meters away from me. As I kept turning my head like an owl on ecstasy I saw Klaus spinning around trying to figure out what happened. I felt the panic rising, if Klaus didn’t catch up on what happened, we were kinda screwed. Since Jason and Rose were in their human shape again I yelled to Stefan demanding him to release them. Rose weren’t able to calm Jason down only with her words and now when the situation was a bit out of control we could use every claw and hand to stop the chaos.

“She’s not breathing! She’s.. her heart.. she’s dead.. Bonnie, she’s dead! DO SOMETHING!” Sam screamed.

“What?” I turned to Sam and saw her tear filled face buried in her cousin’s shirt.

She’d turned Tammie around and she was now staring blankly up in the starlight sky. She looked so pale. I was still sitting on my knees and hands in front of Derek’s body paralyzed by the news about Tammie’s condition. Bonnie was kneeling next to Sam trying to calm her down.

“Sam.. there’s nothing we can do.. we can’t bring her back.. I’m sorry.. we’re gonna find whoever did this..”

“We need to find a way.. please Bonnie.. you need to help me..” Sam looked so helpless, and as much as I fought to find the right words to compensate for her loss, I couldn’t..

She’d become a very close friend within a short period of time, but I didn’t know her well enough to know exactly what she needed to hear or how to help her in a crisis situation. At the same time I felt shocked to have lost a friend, Tammie, who I’d bonded with the most. It was very overwhelming. Jason had rushed to the scene too, and he was now standing at Tammie’s feet looking pale and frozen. Rose was holding his arm as support. I wanted to be there for him too. I just didn’t know where I was needed the most at the moment, I was practically torn in several pieces. Just as it was getting too much I felt a hand on my shoulder and someone was kneeling next to me. It was Elena.

“How is he?” she asked me. It was a relief to have someone looking out for me in a time I didn’t have the capacity to help everyone else.

“I.. I don’t know.. I haven’t checked.. I.. the others.” I stuttered, trying to stay in control of my tears.

“They are helping each other. Stefan is planning with Klaus what we need to do now, and find out what happened. Focus on Derek Molly.”

I knew she was right, but I still felt bad not being there for Tammie. I looked at the ground around Derek and found the biggest pieces of his torn clothes and covered his buttocks and back. I placed a finger on his neck to check for pulse, but I didn’t find any. That discovery only made my own pulse rise and the panic started bubbling in my body. I laid my head on his partly covered back weighed down by despair. At the moment I couldn’t cry, I wished I could because when I was lying there I didn’t know which emotion to turn on. The thoughts kept spinning and I was getting dizzy. I didn’t know what to say or do. If I had to describe one feeling which was coming and going and dominated the most, it’d have to be helplessness. But I didn’t know what to do about it. Elena put a comforting hand on my shoulder rubbing it gently.

Something interrupted my boiling soup of thoughts and confusion. It was a sound. The most beautiful sound I’d ever heard. No singer’s voice would ever match the sound of Derek’s beating heart. It was a single beat. He wasn’t dead. I remembered Bonnie saying that the state Damon’s body was in when his mind had left the body was equivalent to the hibernation of some animals. The heart would beat a few times per hour, just enough to keep the body alive. But if Derek was alive, but in the same state as Damon.. that meant…