Chapter 16: And I Come Alive Again

Shocked by the sudden opening of the door, I tug my hand back quickly and move to stand aside with the stranger. I don't want to miss anything that's going to happen.

The door slowly shifts open, and in comes the soul we're looking for. Silvery, light and glowing, our soul seems to have grown a pair of arm and legs, although the form is still blurry. It floats into the room, twist around curiously to look at everything, then move to sit in the chair opposite the large table in the middle of the office.

"Welcome to the Afterlife, please take a seat," a bodiless voice greets without emotion. To my surprise, the previously vacant seat behind the desk is suddenly occupied by a woman in grey suit. She looks pretty normal, though. Unlike the silver light of soul, she looks human.

The soul nods its head, and that's when I realise it has one. The silvery mess we saw at the hospital has taken the shape of the man standing quietly beside me. However, there isn't any details or features on his face, so he just looks like a faceless ghost. It reminds me of Slenderman.

"You are briefed through the basics when you stepped through into the Afterlife, am I right?" The woman asks in a bored tone. Then without waiting for an answer, she takes out a few colourful brochures from the drawers of her desk. "Here are the dimensions and worlds you can choose to be reborn in, according to what you did and who you were in the past life. Please make your decision and get back to me as soon as you do."

The soul nods again. I scrutinise it carefully, noticing that here and there, little lines are popping out to form its features. It is slowly transforming into a human body.

The woman seems unfazed by this happening, because she continues in the same, bored tone. "Any enquiries, please refer to the information counter at the front of the building. Thank you, and have a nice afterlife."

The silvery double of the man floats up and tries to pick the papers up, having the need to do it a few times before his hand is solid enough to actually manage the motion. Finally, he does and turns away to exit the room on his newly grown feet.

As I watch the soul leave, the woman in the office drops her bored demeanour and looks around sneakily before farting. Then she slowly fades away from the seat, leaving the room empty of souls, except for ours.

Nice.

I turn to watch the man standing beside me. He gives me a small smile and waits patiently for my response.

"So...That's what you wanted to show me?" The guy nods. "That was you? Then you transformed until the way you are now?" I guess. He nods again, twice.

"Was the woman in suit an afterlife employee?"

He nods again.

"There are other dimensions of universe?" A nod. "That means all the theories of other universes are spot-on? There are other beings out there?"

Nod, nod.

"Woah," I say after a long pause.

I shake my head slowly, trying to find words to describe what I'm feeling. Which is pretty much undescribable. "I – just – damn. All the time people have been wondering what happens after they die, and now the answer is – it's handed to me on a silver platter."

The man nods with a beam. "You are rather lucky."

"But... Why did you show me all this? Isn't the Afterlife supposed to be kept a secret?" I gasp conspiratorially. "Aren't you afraid that I'll tell the world about this? Is the living even supposed to know about this? Don't tell me you'll have to kill me so I won't blab!"

He chuckles, then shakes his head. "Sorry Luna, but I don't think anyone would actually believe you if you say you know what's after death. That's why there's no need for me to kill you."