Chapter 1: The Accident

• Dedicated to you for reading this <3

The setting sun glows in varying shades of orange, red and yellow, creating a picturesque view from my position in the train. It is beautiful. But I can't bring myself to appreciate it, which is unlike me. I love nature.

My mind travels back to an hour ago, back to when I was in the pool, training. It was a very bad session, even more so than usual. I guess that's why I'm feeling down. I'm sick and tired of always being the slowest in my team, and I wonder when this will end.

My name is Luna, and I'm a swimmer. I used to be a good one, but now... guess I'm not anymore. Not when I've stopped improving since two years ago.

I've given everything I've got, my time, my money, my energy... but everything seems to be going downhill ever since I switched coaches. All I've ever wanted was to keep improve and ultimately qualify for the Olympics when I'm 21, then I can finally stop swimming. But, easier said than done, as always.

Life sucks.

Actually, no. Training with a coach who gives more attention to your peers sucks more. Trust me.

I listen to the train rumbling beneath me at high speed for a few more seconds, then pull out my earphones. Plugging it into my smartphone and ears, I lean back against the cold metal benches as comfortably as I can, then play the final episode of Avatar. Soon, I'm lost in the awesome world of bending. What I would give just to meet team Avatar, I think dreamily.

And Zuko.

He's - dare I say it? - turning into a hottie and I guess I'm fangirling over him right now.

At this thought, I smile crazily at the people in the train. They look scared as they subtly shrink into their seats.

I have quite an unhealthy obsession with this Nickelodeon cartoon show, named Avatar: The Last Airbender. I guess it's weird and really unusual for me to have a crush on a cartoon character, but... whatevs. 

I give a small sigh, and shiver a bit. It has become cold all of a sudden. The evening sun has been blocked by thick, dark clouds that came out of nowhere. Weird.

Thunder rumbles in the distance and as I watch, the dark clouds roll and spread in all directions at a fast pace. Looks like there's going to be a storm. A huge one.

Sure enough, big fat rain drops start coming down in minutes. Moments later, thunderbolts and lightnings make their appearance. I sit closer to the train window, watching the rapidly falling rain blur up the world outside. I have always been fascinated by thunderstorms.

Then a loud crack and a flash of white light come from right above our head, and I am not fascinated when the lights in the train start to flicker.

Oh crap, I thought to myself, train's going to have a breakdown.

Just as my thoughts travel in that direction, there comes a very loud sound. Even with the noise the storm is making, this bone-chilling sound can be heard clear and loud.

Thud, zrrr... PING!

Immediately, I stop playing my phone and look around warily. Sounds like it came from beneath the first carriage of the train, the one I am in.

I stare at the other passengers who, like me, have stopped whatever they were doing to look at each other uneasily. I start feeling a bit queasy; the thought of this train having an accident scares me more than I can say. I mean, I'm too young to die! For heaven's sake, I'm only fifteen! I have dreams!

More weird sounds come from the tracks, sounds that got me literally holding onto the edge of my seat.

After a while however, the sounds fade. Rain continues to pour like water from buckets, and everything resume its normality, like nothing ever happened. We all breathe a sigh of relief as the train prepares to slow down for the next stop. The next station is in sight. I plan to get down at this station even though it's not my stop, just so I can wait out this storm. Yeah, call me a wuss, but this train problem sounds serious.

But before the train operator can announce the next station's name, a piercing loud squeal comes from the train tracks.

Next thing I know, I'm being thrown to the opposite side of the train, along with other passengers. Crap! Panic claws at my throat, and I can't breathe. My thoughts flicker from trying to stay balanced to wondering where my family is, now.

Heart thudding loudly in my ears, I watch as my hand raises in surreal slow-motion, trying in vain to break my fall. Everything is going too fast, yet too slow at the same time. Voices seem to travel really loud in one moment, and very soft in the next. I blink as the glass of the train window comes closer to me... and closer...

This is it. I'm sorry, mom, dad, Melanie, Alice, Harry... I love you guys so- Before I can finish my thought, my head hits the hard smash-proof glass with a deafening crack and-