Chapter 14: In Which I Die

How did he get here? He's got a really pissed face on, plus he's already in a fighting stance, ready to attack. I jump up quickly, moving into my own basic waterbending stance. He glares when I do, and I shrink a bit. But then at the thought of the danger Aang may be in, I lift my head and try to look unafraid. The memories of last night fly to the back of my head as survival instinct kicks in.

"Step aside," Zuko demands coldly. "I'm here for the Avatar."

"How did you escape?" I ask, my heart hammering so loud it's almost impossible to hear what I've just said. I'm not sure I can take him full-on, but perhaps I can stall him till help comes. I sneak quick glances at Aang and the door, just as Katara did earlier. Come on guys, where are you?

"Why does it matter to you?" He spits. I flinch at the venom in his words. "I have my ways," he snarls.

"I won't let you take Aang away."

"I'm warning you." Zuko steps closer to me, trying to make me back away. But I hold my ground, staring in defiance into his eyes. I notice belatedly that we're of almost the same height. He gives me a death stare. "I don't want to hurt... you." He pronounces the last word with difficulty. But I doubt what he said - the fire in his golden eyes are saying he would very much like to burn me to ashes where I'm standing.

When it looks like neither of us are giving up our silent staring competition, I decide to try a different tactic - to calm him down. "Look, Zuko. I'm really, very sorry to have betrayed y-"

"WHY DOES IT MATTER TO YOU?!" He yells again, this time with a wild look in his eyes. He almost drops his stance, but catches himself at the last second. Suddenly, all my fears of him disappears, replaced instead with sorrow and guilt.

"Zuko, please calm down," I beg. "You don't want to do this."

"Who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't do?" Zuko snarls, his hands glowing dangerously red. "You don't know anything about me! You don't know what's at stake here."

"...You're right," I reply quietly, saddened by the thought. I wish so badly I can get back my memories, that way I can know what's bothering Zuko so much, and I can put an end to his pain. It was unfair of me to betray him, then act like I know what's best for him. He's right, I don't know him at all.

Zuko's eyes widen in surprise when he hears my reply. Then they narrow in anger again. "Move!"

"Never," I retort bravely, holding my stance and preparing to battle, if need be.

The first blow catches me by surprise, and I barely managed to twist out of the way of the fire blast. My pulse skyrockets as adrenaline and instinct take over. I dance and dodge away from Zuko's continuous attacks, but can never leave Aang's body for more than a few seconds. Some of the embers singes my tunic, but fortunately for me, none of it catches my skin. Suddenly he stops attacking, panting and sweating. I know then that it's my turn.

 I know then that it's my turn