Chapter 10: Trouble in Paradise

"LUNA, NO!" Sokka yells in panic while pulling at my arms as hard as he can. His eyes fill with desperation and rage when he sees those disgusting, filthy monsters clawing at my legs.

"Grab my hands, Luna-" as I held his hand tightly, I can feel someone else's hand digging into my legs, "-AND DON'T LET GO!"

I look up at his face above me, bobbing up and down on Appa's saddle, shining in sweat. Pulling as hard as he can, Sokka tries to haul me up. He's afraid of letting me slip and fall from the roof. Afraid of letting them get to me.

Struggling with all my might, I manage to kick one of the soldier's head and his grip on my legs slackens. Just when I think I can finally be free, another pair of hands pulls on my calf, hitting a weak spot, and pain shoots through my body. I watch in horrifying slow-motion as my sweaty palms slip from Sokka's grip.

"NO!" Both of us scream in unison as I literally fall into the demons' clutches.

Katara's face appear at the edge of the saddle, furious yet apologising at the same time. But she couldn't help, I understand. There is Aang to attend to.

Appa hovers awkwardly in mid-air, dodging the fiery balls being shot at him. I fall, knowing that there's no hope. For now, I thought fiercely.

"GO! Just go, Sokka! I'll find a way to escape! Leave and take care of Aang!" I plead. The longer they are here, the more danger they pose to themselves and me.

"I'm so sorry, Luna," Sokka's voice shakes as he whispers. "We'll come get you as soon as we can." He walks to Appa's head and takes up the reign. "Come on buddy, yip yip!"

We're running out of time, I realize as I watch Appa's shadow become smaller and smaller in the moonlight. They will find us eventually. Aang needs all the time we can get. Shaking my head at Appa's leaving back, I shout, "No! Go UP! Don't come back! I-I'll meet you UP there!"

I sincerely hope they get my meaning of 'up'. I mean, it can only mean the North Pole, right?

Sokka looks at me with understanding, his eyes filled with sadness and remorse as he squints through the growing distance between us. Then, something in him seems to change and he no longer looks at a lost. Nodding his head, he gives me a salute before turning around and urging Appa to fly faster.

With the tears streaming down my face, I don't notice the bunch of burly men behind me until one of them pins me down, holding my hands behind my back, pressing my face roughly into the dirt.

With a yelp, I struggle again and again, arms and legs jerking everywhere just to escape this nightmare. The man holding me down grunts in frustration. I'm strong enough to fight, I thought.

Through my screams and cries for help, I dimly hear someone ask, "Shall we put her out? Just for a while?"

The instinct to survive floods through me and adrenaline kicks in, hard and fast. Ignoring the discussions of the men, I flip the guy holding me down over my shoulders with a roar.

I'm feeling so... so bloody pissed.

Straightening myself in a snap, I start airbending in every direction, not even bothering to check my aim. I laugh in sadistic delight when a few crumble from my blows. I guess that they've received orders not to hurt me, because none of them are returning my attacks. Vision flashing red, I take advantage of this and try to take out as many of them as I can, even when I know that there's no point.

The monsters... They have turned me into one, too.

Sweat and tears pour down my face, momentarily blinding my eyes, making me panic even more.