Paper and Pencils

AN: So I decided that since I'm changing the cover of this story I decided that I would give you guys a new chapter for sticking around with me . As y'all can see it's being changed and I'll give you guys a full view of it on top ! I have y'all enjoy this chapter and without further ado please vote and comment what y'all think !

On the tenth day of September Clarke lost a patient. It wasn't her first, there had been others both in Chicago and back in DC when she had interned with her mother, but it was her youngest at age 12. A car had hit the girl on her way home from school. She didn't have any parents for Clarke to console, instead a social worker and foster parent were informed that Charlotte Higgs died at 5:27pm, September 10th, 2015 of excessive bleeding resulting from a severed artery that Clarke couldn't fix.

When she finally got home after what felt like the longest shift of her life, Clarke sat on the front steps in the dark and called Wells.

"Clarke?" She fell apart at the sound of his familiar voice and explained how hard she had tried to save Charlotte. He consoled her and told her that it wasn't her fault; that she had done all she could and ultimately that was all she could do.

"She was so young, though, Wells. She was so scared and begged me not to let her die."

"You did your best, Clarke. You can't save everyone."

"I know." Her thoughts turned to her father. She hadn't been able to save him either.

"Hey," Wells' voice was gentle. "It will all get better, Clarke. I know things suck right now between Finn and this, but it things will turn around. Just stay strong and know that you always have me to get you through the tough times, just like when we were growing up."

She sniffed. "I miss you."

"I miss you too, Griffin," he chuckled. "I know you coming down at the end of the month isn't gonna work out, but maybe for Thanksgiving?"

"Yeah, I'd like that."

"Then it's settled. Tell me something good that has happened to you since we last talked on Wednesday."

Clarke wiped away left over tears and told Wells about how she and Octavia had spent Friday evening in the city window-shopping and about how they had decided to lobby Bellamy to agree to getting a cat. She told him about hanging out more with Raven and how the engineer was trying to convince her to go paint balling. As she was finishing a story about Jasper's newfound determination to win the lottery, Bellamy pulled into the drive. Clarke said good-bye to Wells and promised to call him soon while watching Bellamy hop out of the truck.

"Hey, Princess."

"Hey." He sat next to her on the old stairs and looked out at the street.

"Where were you so late?" Her shift had ended at 10:30 and Clarke assumed she had been on the phone for at least an hour with Wells.

"I had to get Murphy out of a sticky situation." He didn't offer more information and she didn't ask, despite her curiosity. "Who were you talking to?"

"Wells."

"How is he?"

"Good. I think I'm going to try and visit him for Thanksgiving."

"You aren't going up this month?"

"No, I don't want to take off that much time after using up vacation days in August when he visited." Bellamy nodded and turned to her. He must have noticed her still slightly puffy eyes and red nose because he asked her what as wrong.

"Its nothing really," Clarke didn't want to talk about death and dying. She knew that was something Bellamy was all too familiar with.

"Clarke."