Spirited Away

AN: I can not wait till Memory Wipeout premieres! Anyway...hope you like it.

Previously...

I decided to go home and think about how lucky I was that things turned in our favor today but not before grabbing my phone off of Leo’s desk in the lab. I got in my pajamas and turned on the light in the bathroom before hearing my phone go off. Huh, I wonder who’s calling me this late.

“Hello?”

The person on the other line was sniffling like they had been crying “Is this Katie Davis? The girl who hosted my cousin Jade as an exchange student a couple months ago?”

Jade? Who…oh! Jade Crawford from Seaford High. Now I remember.

“Kim? Is that you?”

“Hi Katie,” she sniffled again.

“Kim are you alright?”

Her sniffles turned into sobs “No,” she cried “Is about Jade.”

“What happened?”

“She was on her way home when the bus lost control. She didn’t make it,” Kim sobbed.

I couldn't speak. All I could do was stare into space. Jade was dead? But how is that possible?

"Katie? Are you still there?" Kim voiced.

"Yeah," I was shocked at how scratchy my voice was and realized that I was silently crying "I'm really sorry Kim. Jade was an amazing person," I cried "even though I hardly new her." More tears streamed down my face. How could someone so young be dead? Jade had her whole life ahead of her and now she doesn't get to live it.

"I don't mean to be rude or inconsiderate but why are you calling me?"

"It just seemed like the right thing to do," she whispered "when I talked to her on the phone while she was away, all she could do was talk about awesome you guys were. Everyone seems dead. Jade was important to all of us. I lost my cousin and best friend, my friends Milton, Eddie and Jerry lost a sister and Jack lost his girlfriend. Nothing is the same anymore." Kim started to sob "We never even got to bury her body! It was incinerated during the crash."

"I'm so sorry Kim," I told her quietly "but I really am thankful that you called. Sorry I couldn't be at her funeral. If I had known I would have been there."

"We didn't have a funeral," she said "We planted so many trees in her honor though. I think that's how she would have wanted it, ya know? Celebrate life in the midst of death."

"Sounds amazing Kim,"

She chuckled sadly "It was. No one said anything though. We were too sad to." I heard more voices on the other end "Well, I gotta go. I'll talk to you later hopefully?"

"Yeah definitly," I said "Thanks for calling Kim. It means so much that you did."

"No problem Katie. Talk to you soon. Bye."

"Bye."

Once I hung up, I threw my phone against the room where it crashed against the wall and I cried. I cried for Jade. I cried for her friends and family. I cried because death had taken away two people who meant a lot to this world...and now they were gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning was Saturday and I didn't feel like getting up...I didn't have the energy too. My scratched phone started to chime indicating I had a new text message. I rolled off the bed in a mass of blankets.

One New Message:

Morning love! Are you up yet? ~Chase

I sighed.

Unfortuantly I am up. But I don't feel so well. ~Katie

Chase texted me back quickly.

Are you sick??? Do you want me to come over??? ~Chase

I smile. Oh how I loved this boy.

I'm not sick sick. And yes...I need you right now. Something happened last night. ~Katie

I'm on my way! ~Chase

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It didn't take me very long to get dressed. I did very little to alter my appearence. I put on a purple tank top and some loose fitting jeans. My hair up in a ponytail.

My dad was out so I was home alone again when the doorbell rang. When I opened the door, Chase had a bag in one hand and a teddy bear in the other. I looked at him in confusion before letting him in "What's in the bag love?"

He set the bag on the coffee table "Before I answer that question, there's one thing I need to do first." Chase leaned in and captured my lips with his own. He pulled me closer and placed the teddy bear against my hands and when he pulled away I smiled.

"Okay," Chase said "Now that I've done that...in the bag is some movies, junk food and get well cards."

"Get Well cards? But I told you I'm not sick like that."

"Adam made them," he said and pulled me into his arms "I couldn't get away without him pestering me. So, are you going to tell me what's wrong or am I going to have to read your thoughts?"

"You can do that?"

Chase smiled and kissed my temple "No. I was I could do that though." I slapped his arm lightly but frowned. Chase pulled my hair back and kissed the back of my neck "Katie? Baby tell me what's wrong."

That's when the tears came "Do you remember Jade Crawford?"

Chase frowned as his eyebrows scrunched together. It would have been really adorable if I wasn't crying "You mean the girl who transferred to Mission Creek while Leo was at Seaford? The girl who stayed with you?" I nodded "I remember her. She's was really cool. Why do you ask?"

"She's dead," I told him flatly.

"What?! When? How?"

"Her cousin Kim called me last night and told me. She was on her way back to Seaford when the bus lost control. She was the only casualty."

Chase's arms tightened around me "I am so sorry baby,"

For the rest of that Saturday, we spent it watching all the movies that he brought over along with the junk food too. During some of the movies, I wouldn't know what was happening at some parts. Chase and I were too busy making out to care.

AN: So this was hard for me to write and I'm going to tell you all this now...this is the last time Jade will be mentioned in the story. This hits home hard for me so...yeah. Please comment and vote OTHERWISE I WILL NOT UPDATE THE NEXT EPISODE OF LAB RATS! Just sayin'.