Chapter 7

The next morning seemed to come way to early. But since it was our first day of work we were all up early from excitement. Well some of us were up, Jen and Georgie needed a little convincing waking up.

"Up and at em today is a big day!" I said turning on the lights making sure everybody woke up.

"For the love of God Tamara let us sleep! I had a long night last night and it wouldn't hurt any of our careers to let us sleep an extra five minutes." Jen said aggressively.

"Okay okay you can sleep for five more minutes, I'm going to do my hair and makeup. When I come back you should all be up." I said leaving the room.

After that I went into the bathroom and was shocked to see so many people. I guess there is only one big staff bathroom in the workers corridors.

I decided to only wear a little bit of coverup and some pink eye shadow and brown lipstick. I actually don't love to wear a lot of makeup which is weird for our times. Everybody else was powdering on the makeup I looked quite plain in compassion. After I finished my makeup I let my hair run down in loose ringlets. I was now finished with my hair and makeup I just needed to decide what to wear.

I headed back into the room and was surprised to see Jen crying near her bed.

"What happened? Why are you crying?" I asked.

"I went to put on my dress and corset and I can't put my corset on without a maid!" Jen said between sobs.

"I'm sorry what?" And then I realized what she said and a look of horror came on my face.

"We are all used to maids waiting on us hand and foot and now that we are here we don't have any maids!" Karissa said getting panicked now as well.

"We didn't have any servants in our other house did we?" I asked puzzled.

"Yes we did because my parents payed for one! And now that we can support ourselves and have found a stable place to sleep they took all our maids and cooks away!" Jen whined.

"This is easily fixable, we can do the cleaning ourselves because we did that yesterday. They hired cooks to feed us, so all we have to do is hook up our own corsets." I said.

I was answered with four gasps coming from all over the room.

"Hook up our own corsets! Are you mad?" Karissa exclaimed.

"The only reason I got a maid was so I didn't have to learn to tie up my own dress." Georgie said.

"I think it would do us all some good to not have maids anymore." Rachelle said.

"Whoa Rachelle when did you get here?" I asked.

"Last night after I finished working, and after you were all passed out from your late night." Rachelle answered.

"As I was saying, now that we don't have maids anymore we will to dress ourselves. I mean how hard could it be?" I asked.

***

"Pull it tighter!" Jen yelled.

"I'm trying but these things are so hard to tie up!" Karissa whined.

"Georgie I can't breathe! You have to make it looser." I said gasping for breathe.

"I'm sorry I don't have time to fix it I have to be at work in two minutes." Georgie said before rushing out of the room.

"Well if want your corset looser get Karissa to tie it up for you."Jen stated.

"Hey I'm actually finally getting the hang of this. Just one more strand to tie, and there," Karissa said.