forty seven

Zayn came home from work round five o'clock to find that the front yard had been mowed, which meant Harry must have done it. It looked really nice. She used her key to unlock the front door, then went inside. Something spicy caught her nose and she immediately sneezed. Obviously it was coming from the kitchen, so she went there, figuring that's where Harry was.

"Hi..." She said skeptically.

He was shaking spices onto meat in a bowl. "Hi." He returned.

"I saw that you cut the front yard today."

"Yeah."

"It looks great."

"Thank you. I also cut the backyard too."

"Really?"

"Uh, huh. I was feeling good and I figured I might as well do it. I guess that's another benefit to getting the two Summer months off. I can get stuff like that done earlier in the day when it's still cooler out."

She nodded. "True. So what are you making? Why does it smell so spicy?"

He smiled. "Oh, that's the spice rub I'm putting on the steaks. I decided that I'd put a couple on the grill for us. I'm sure you're tired and wouldn't want to bother cooking anything. So I thought that nothing would wind you down like grilled food and margaritas. I'm gonna grill vegies later and make jalapeno mac and cheese. There's a bowl of salad in the refrigerator already."

Zayn gave him an amused but puzzled look. "Wow. What kind of margarita are we talking about? Frozen or on the rocks?"

"Frozen of course. I don't make it any other way. Now go on. Get out of your skirt and stuff and put on something more conducive for hot weather. I have to get these on the grill outside and then we can enjoy our drinks on the patio."

"Are we celebrating something?"

"Um, I don't think so."

"Then what is all this for?"

"What do you mean? Can't a man have a nice evening with his girlfriend without there being something behind it? Is that so bad?"

She raised her brow. "Are you okay?"

"Z. I'm fine. Now go change. Hurry up."

She gave him a suspicious look as she turned to leave the kitchen and go upstairs. Not that she didn't want him to be happy but it was so weird to see him this giddy and excited. Regardless of what Harry was saying, it seemed like they were celebrating something. She just wished she knew what it was they were celebrating. After changing into a t-shirt, some shorts and putting on a pair of sandals, she went back downstairs. When she didn't see him in the kitchen anymore, she went out to the backyard.

There, she found him using tongs to situate the meat on the racks. She stood beside him rubbing her hand up and down the curve of his back. "The backyard looks just as good as the front. I can't believe you had the energy to do that and then still have anything left to cook all this food though. You're not going to be any good by the time we go to sleep tonight. I'll be kicking at you all night to get you to stop snoring."

He smiled. "It was a really good day."

"Why was it a good day?"

He poked his bottom lip out a little bit to express deep thought. "It was productive."

"Productive as in you got the yard work done?"

"Productive as in you should sit down and relax and stop asking so many questions."

Her mouth parted but she still found the whole interaction so entertaining. "Alright then. I'll just have a seat and stop annoying you."

She walked over to one of the lounging chairs and sat down in it. It was seventy nine degrees outside, so it was a little bit warm. But it was also quite comfortable because the sun wasn't bearing down on them. There were plenty of clouds in the sky. When he finished situating the steaks on the grill, he went back inside the house. Five minutes later, he came back outside with two glasses of the frozen drink he made. After handing her hers, he sat down in the lounge chair a couple feet away from her.