forty three

"Are you alright?" Harry questioned as they were sitting in the truck outside of the house of Zayn's parents.

Zayn shook his head. "No. I'm nervous. What if they actually hate me?"

Harry frowned. "They are your family. They won't hate you."

"Being family makes it worse. I should never go this long without seeing or speaking to them."

Harry didn't argue that. Because truthfully, he felt the same way. He would never go as long as Zayn had without speaking to Anne or Gemma or Robin. "Maybe not but you can't change it and they know that. If anything, them being your family should at least make forgiving you easier."

"I don't know Hazza. I purposely didn't want to see them. They have a right to be angry. Suddenly I'm not feeling brave enough anymore. This was a bad idea."

Harry reached over and grabbed Zayn's hand, squeezing it comfortingly. "You have me to help you Z. And I'm not going anywhere. Okay?"

Zayn smiled when Harry took his hand and kissed it. He wanted so badly to tell him he loved him. But he knew that it was too early in the relationship to be saying something like that. He didn't want to scare Harry. "Okay. But just in case, we should leave our things in the car. Like, if we end up arguing and they don't want us to stay. Alright?"

He hoped there would be no arguing. "Sure."

Zayn took a deep breath and put his hand on the doorknob. "Let's go."

They got out of the car and went up to the door. Zayn was too scared to knock, so Harry did it for him and rubbed his back for assurance. After waiting a little while, they heard the door click. The door swung open and right away, he came face to face with his youngest sister, Safaa. He expected to just be standing there looking at her awkwardly. But to his surprise, there was an ear piercing scream and she rushed forward to hug him.

"Zayn! I can't believe you're here!" She laughed into his clothes. After she finished hugging him tightly, she did the same to Harry. "I haven't seen you since I was like... thirteen!"

"Yes, I know." Harry said.

"Come in, guys. Mum and daddy are in their room. I'll let them know you're here."

She pulled them inside, then went halfway down the hallway. "Daddy! Mum! You should come out here! You won't believe who's here!"

Zayn felt even worse after those words came from her mouth. But they also gave him a little bit of motivation. He knew that what he was doing was even more important than before.

Harry and Zayn were sat on the couch when she returned. "They're coming. They were just trying to get something situated."

"Oh."

She sat in the middle of the floor and looked up at them. "I'm so happy to see you Zayn. And you too Harry. I can't believe you two are still best friends forever!"

Zayn sat up on the edge of the couch, smiling at his sister. "Me either... I guess."

"So we haven't seen you since Christmas. It'll be May in two days. That's four whole months."

"Yeah. I know that's terrible."

"Better than a whole year though." She smiled and he shrugged in agreement.

Calmness was starting to come over him until he heard the sound of his mother's voice. "Zayn?"

He turned sideways and saw her with a hand over her chest and smiling sadly.

He stood up. "Mum."

"Oh, it's so good to see you. Come hug me,  sweetie."

He was reluctant at first but he went over and wrapped his arms around her so tightly. "I missed you." He said.