forty six

Zayn wasn't exactly sure how long he hugged that little boy, but he finally let go when Theo started to squirm. "Why don't you go watch some cartoons, yeah?"

He nodded.

Instead of sending him back downstairs though, Zayn took off his shoes and let him sit in the bed to watch TV in the room. Then he locked the door so that Theo couldn't run out and end up falling down the stairs or something. After grabbing something to change into, he went into the bathroom, locked the door and stood in front of the mirror again. This time his reflection did not scare him. He bounced on his tiptoes as he smiled uncontrollably.

"Like what you see?" Zayn suddenly heard. He jumped and faced the direction of the voice. There, standing in the corner of the bathroom and flaunting a yellow dress, was Lady Fairy. Although he knew she was the reason this had all happened, he was still lost for words.

"Yeah... Yeah... I wasn't expecting this. I'm... look at me."

She nodded. "Yes, I know. You are Veronica again."

Zayn faced the mirror once more and angled her head sideways showing she was in deep thought. "So this isn't a dream? I really am a female again? How? How did you do this? You said the male life was permanent and that I couldn't go back. Did you lie to me?"

Lady Fairy shook her head. "No Veronica. I did not lie. I broke a lot of rules."

Zayn quickly turned around. "Rules? What kind of rules?"

"The rules of magic. Magic with the wand can always be undone. But magic with the magic marker should never be undone. I broke a rule by undoing what the magic marker had done."

Zayn put her hand over her chest. "What does that mean for me?"

"Nothing. You had no control over it. It was all my doing."

"What does that mean for you then?"

"It means..." She sighed. "It means I'm suspended from using magic for four years and my wand will be taken away from me."

Zayn looked down at her bare feet. "Oh no. This is all my fault."

"No. It's not your fault. It's my own and I can't blame anyone but myself. Besides, I've been doing magic for years. It's about time I've got a break." She smiled and sat her wand on the sink. "Now tell me. Any questions?"

Zayn nodded. "Of course, I have many questions. Starting with why? If you knew they'd punish you for what you did, why did you do it?"

"Because you said it yourself Veronica. You were miserable. Anybody who purposely gets drunk to drown out thoughts is miserable. I couldn't sit back and let that happen. Thank your boyfriend too. It was his wish that allowed me to do what I did."

Zayn frowned. "His wish?"

"Yes. Harry really cares about you. He didn't know you had been Veronica before, but he picked up all the clues you and how you wanted to be a woman. So he wished that you could be everything you wanted to be. That allowed me to step in and make the changes."

Zayn wanted to be embarrassed about the fact that Harry figured out the truth. But she was really more thankful than anything. "Then I am confused, What am I doing as a male then? Is that life I worked so hard for, just gone?"

"No, you're with Harry."

"But I am a woman. Wouldn't that mean I would go back to being distant to Harry? Wouldn't that mean we were never a thing and that he's still with what's-her-name?"

Lady Fairy chuckled at the fact that she didn't want to use his girlfriend's name. "No. I did a little bit of tampering. It's so refreshing watching Zayn and Harry together. So I was extra careful to make sure that you remained a couple. Yes, Yvette is his ex and yes, you and your family are on good terms. The only difference is, you don't miss being a woman because I wiped your memory clean. You don't remember being a female at all. So therefore you don't miss the benefits or the things you would have had as a woman. You live life with him as a male who knows how to live life with another male."