thirty four

Zayn was sitting down in the corner of a large room, waiting for the center manager to come out and get him. She was meeting with a parent at the time, so he was out here watching a few kids who were sat on an area rug and having a story read to them. He couldn't help but shake his legs nervously. He looked really good. He was wearing a suit, a nice black tailored suit, that was just as sleek as his shoes. But he was very worried that it would end up being too much. He didn't want to be over dressed and he didn't want her to think he was way too serious to be around children, because that was hardly the case.

There was laughter that erupted when the teacher who was reading, made a funny gesture about one of the book characters. Hearing those tiny voices express their joy for the particular activity immediately made him think about the conversation he had with Harry the other night.

You just have to find someone... someone who's willing to get married and do that with you.

Exactly. He'd have to find someone that could have his children if he wanted them. But unknown to Harry, that's not what he wanted at all. He didn't want to adopt children or have a surrogate mother even though he knew that was an option. He wanted them with Harry. He wanted children created from his and Harry's DNA, together. And he hated that he couldn't do that.

He also understood that he was being picky over this. He knew that he was being extremely unreasonable about everything. But he faulted only himself. If he had never asked to become a woman, he would have never known what it was like to want kids with Harry. And Veronica would have never planned a life with him. Secretly, he wished he could just go back so he could stop the worries. If only he could.

His thoughts were taken away, when he noticed the reading session was finally over and the children were starting to disperse down a small hallway.

"Hey, you." Zayn heard and he turned to see a little boy who seemed to be three years old and closer to four.

Zayn raised his eyebrow "Hello..."

"Are you coming to recess with us?"

That made him smile. "No, I'm actually here for an important meeting."

"You don't want to go out and play?"

Zayn shook his head. "I can't. I'm sorry."

Immediately, the little boy took off in the direction of the teacher who was putting away the book she had just finished reading.

"Miss. Laney, Miss Laney!"

She turned around and acknowledged him. "What is it, James?"

"He wants to come to recess too. Can he come?"

"Can who come?"

"Him, over there." He pointed back in Zayn's direction and she chuckled when she saw him shrug as if he didn't know what was going on.

"James, he's here for something important. Maybe if he's hired, then we'll see. But for now, you should go out with Mrs. Baker and the rest of your classmates. I'm sure they're waiting for you to have your turn on the slide."

When he heard that last word, he seemed to forget all about Zayn and he left in a hurry. The teacher smiled apologetically at Zayn and after he nodded once to show her it was okay, she went the same way James did.

"Hello, Mr. Zayn Malik." He heard moments later and he looked up to see the center manager. She was done meeting with the parents.

Zayn stood up and shook her hand. "Hi."

"Hi, I introduced myself last time but in case you forgot, I'm Mrs. Judy Harris. We can go on in my office and get right down to businesses."

"Sounds good."