thirty one

Video: "Zayn Malik Talks About His Transformation Into a Woman."

*****

Zayn sat in her office on Monday morning, twisting a silver key in her hand. It was so shiny and pretty and it glistened brightly every time it reflected off the fluorescent lights above.

This was something unexpected. When Harry ran into the house on Saturday and told her how he had something to make her feel better, she expected something small enough to simply put a smile on her face. What she did not expect was two bouquets of flowers, a bag full of all the chocolates she ever liked and this key. Especially this key.

"This is the last thing." Harry had told her as he reached in his back pocket and took something out. But he kept his fist closed around it so she couldn't make out what it was yet.

Zayn was curious. "What is it?"

"It's long overdue is what it is. I feel like maybe you should have had this when I had yours."

She turned her head sideways. "Hm?"

That's when he opened his hand and revealed the key, shiny and new in its form. "I went and had this made today."

"A key?"

"Yes. But not just any key." He took her hand and opened it, then sat it in the palm of her hand. "It's a key to my house."

Zayn wasn't expecting him to say that. "Really? Why?"

"Because... this whole month with you just made me realize that life is too damn short to procrastinate. And even if it isn't too short, there are so many things that can go wrong. I want to keep you around as long as I can. I don't ever want to lose you. And to make sure that happens, I need to know that you're safe at all times. So that key is yours. Come and go as you please. Invite over whoever you want. Eat as much food as you want. Watch as much TV as you want. You can even change the whole place up if you want. But that's yours. Its yours to have and to keep. And I want you to use it everyday."

If Zayn wasn't expecting the key, then she surely wasn't expecting what he'd just hinted at.

"Harry."

"What."

"Did you just ask me to move in with you?"

He'd nervously shoved his hands into his pockets, then gave her a slight smile. "Would you say yes?"

Zayn stood there very shocked and astounded. "Harry I..." She looked down at the key. "That's something I would have to think about. I couldn't just jump in and do that."

"I know that. But you're not saying no."

She shrugged. "Well... No."

"So you don't want to move in with me?"

"No, I was saying I'm not saying no. But I'm not saying yes yet either. Moving in with someone else is a lot."

"You stay with me a lot of the time already, though. So this won't be any different to me. It'd be better because you know how much I love having you around."

"Yes, I do and I love being around you. But Harry... that's a lot of work." Zayn really didn't know what else to say other than that.

He was quiet for a moment. "Well, that's still yours regardless and your lease ends in a month. Would you at least think about it?"

Once again, she looked at the key in her hand. Harry could not have picked a worst time to ask something like that. "Yeah, I'll... I'll think about it."

He grinned widely when she said those words and went into the kitchen where the food he brought was already at. "You have about five weeks." he called back toward the living room. "So think hard and long about it."