eighteen

Harry's phone rang at two o'clock Sunday afternoon.

"Hello?"

"Its me."

"Yes, I saw your mother's name come up. Liam, this number isn't for fun. I only gave you this number because of Thanksgiving and technically I gave this number to your mother."

"I know and I'm sorry. I went though her phone and got it cause I really need to see you Harry."

"You still have to go to school up until Wednesday. Can it not wait until Monday?"

"No, it's an emergency. I need to talk to you as soon as possible. Please?"

Harry groaned. He really didn't want to get up off his couch on a Sunday for something that may very well be a joke. He'd be really pissed if that happened. But then again, Liam did seem really bothered. What if something was really wrong? He'd feel terrible if he ignored him. "Alright, where are you?"

"I'm at home but you choose a place and I'll meet you there."

"Well, I haven't eaten anything yet. Have you?"

"No, not yet. Why?"

Harry got up and stretched his body thoroughly. "Good. I know just the place to go then."

*

*

*

"So what's up? What had you all frantic over the phone?"

He picked up a sweet potato french fry from the appetizer tray and sighed. "My dad is coming to visit for Christmas. He's going to be staying with us for a few days."

Harry lit up. "That's wonderful."

"No it isn't. That isn't wonderful Harry."

He studied Liam with a confused expression. "It isn't?"

"No. It's horrible."

"Why is it horrible? He's your father."

"Exactly. He's the same man who separated from my mother and picked my sisters over me two years ago. Now all of a sudden he calls her and tells her he's coming to visit? It's bullshit if you ask me. "

"Okay, no offense Liam, but this is about your personal life and I thought it was about school. Why am I here? Why did you call me?"

He ate the fry he had picked up but didn't speak until he finished chewing and swallowing it.

"Because even though you're mostly lame, you're still pretty cool sometimes and I trust that if you can help me at school, then you can tell me how to approach this. Because I can't tell my mum how I'm feeling. She's so excited about seeing him and my sisters and I don't want to ruin her Christmas by being bitchy."

"Ah, I see." Harry sat back in his chair and folded his arms. "You don't trust him."

"Hell no. He's given me no reason to. But I want to try to be good for mum. Let it be known though. If he even looks at me the wrong way or says the wrong thing, I'm gonna curse him out. I'll be damned if he comes in our house after being gone for two years and tries to tell me what to do."

"No you are not, Liam. You are not going to curse him out. You are going to respect him. Regardless of what he has done, he is still your father and the cause of your birth. I haven't seen my father in years either but if I suddenly saw him again, I would never do that to him. Don't shut your father out. Who knows? Maybe he's coming for a good reason. Maybe the time he had during separation gave him time to think."