twenty three

"'Am I in love?'"

Zayn jumped when she heard the voice behind her, then turned around when she realized it was Lara. "You scared me. What are you doing?"

"I should be asking you that. Why are you taking that kind of quiz for? You think you're in love with Harry?"

"No, this is just... um. It... no.."

"You are such a liar. You totally do."

"I do not."

"Well let's see then." She leaned down toward the computer and grabbed the mouse. Zayn tried to snatch it from her but Lara popped her hand and scrolled through the questions. "Question five. 'What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning?' Aw, look. You checked the second answer. 'I always think of my sweetheart'."

"I only said that for when we stay the night with each other. Which makes a lot of sense because I'm usually facing him when I wake up and he is the first thing I see."

"Yeah right." She used the mouse and scrolled again. "Question eleven. 'How does your partner make you feel'? You checked 'he knows how to cheer me up. I don't know where I'd be without him.' Look at your answer choices, Veronica. You're totally in love with him."

"No."

"Yes you are. There is no getting around it." She scrolled back to the very bottom of the quiz. "You answered every question already. So why haven't you pressed the 'get my results' button yet?"

Zayn shrugged. "I was just... debating whether or not I should."

"Why? Didn't you purposely find this quiz because you wanted to know?"

"Well um..." She shrugged again and this time, she successfully snatched the mouse back. "I don't care anymore. And you shouldn't either because it's my personal life. Now what is it that you actually came for? Because I'm certain this wasn't it."

She stood up straight. "Oh, yeah. Right. I came to take your place for now because Kristen wants to see you in her office."

"Really?" Kristen was the Office Manager.

"Yep."

"Why? She never wants to see anyone."

"I don't know. She didn't seem upset about anything though. So you may not have anything to worry about. Plus you haven't even done anything wrong."

Zayn rubbed her hands together then stood up. "But that still makes me nervous though."

"Hush, V and just go. It might be something good."

She sighed and patted her skirt. "Fine. Here goes nothing." She turned and started to walk , then suddenly stopped in her tracks. "Oh yeah, could you please exit out of that webpage for me. I wouldn't want anyone else to see that."

"Sure, girl."

"Thanks."

When she headed for the back of the building, Lara sat down and faced the screen again. Why was Veronica so hesitant about pressing it? Was she afraid of the answer? Lara didn't know. But unlike her friend, curiosity got the best of her and she found herself wanting to know the answer. So after silently thanking Veronica for answering all the questions, she pressed the button. It took thirty long seconds for the results to pop up and when they did, her mouth fell open in shock and surprise as the first seven words of the paragraph were plastered in bold at the top of the screen.

'Yes! You are very much in love!'

*

*