fourteen

"I can't believe I've known you all this time and didn't pay attention to how great you really are." Gemma beamed as she and Zayn stood in line at a pretzel shop in the mall. "I'm so sorry for that."

"No, it's no big deal. I was the same way with you. I ignored you too."

"I guess it was like that because you've always been Harry's friend. And I never looked at you as anything other than that. No offense but... Harry was always so weird, so I assumed you two got along well because you were too. But you're actually an amazing person. I judged you wrongly. And you also have good taste in colors too."

"Oh. Thanks." Zayn laughed but in the back of her mind she wondered if Gemma was saying that she thought he was weird when he was a male too. She felt the need to clear it up. "Well uhm. Harry didn't seem so weird to me. He always did things I was interested in. We played football and stuff. And even though he was better than me at any sport we ever played, I thought for that reason, he was more cool than weird."

She gave Zayn a funny look. "Wait. You actually played football with Harry and he was okay with letting you do that?"

Zayn froze and nervously laughed. "No...no... I meant that I uhm... I watched him. You know... when he went with other friends. I was on the sidelines. I don't even know how to play, really."

Gemma chuckled at her. "I was about say... cause you really don't strike me as the football playing type."

"I'm not..." She answered truthfully. Anymore... "Because I'd just suck anyway and I wouldn't be of any help to a team." The latter sentence wasn't totally true though. Zayn never forgot the game.

Gemma laughed out loud. "That's funny. But now I'm curious."

"About what?"

"About you and my brother. Duh. So tell me. Have you always secretly liked him?"

"No." She answered right away.

"Not at all? Not even when you watched him play football? You didn't like his sweaty muscles, hmm?"

She suggestively nudged Zayn but Zayn couldn't even imagine anything like that. "No. I never looked at stuff like that."

"Wow. So how'd you come to like him then? What suddenly attracts you to him now?"

Zayn sighed as they moved up in the line. She had to figure out a way to explain this in the best way possible without admitting she was once a male.

"We just grew up. We're not teenagers anymore, so we know what it's like to want to be in a stable relationship. I started to see how Harry was amazing and sweet and kindhearted and as for him... I don't know. Maybe he saw something in me too. All I know is he makes me feel special. And I like the way he makes me feel special."

Gemma smiled and nodded. "Yep. I knew if he was ever given the chance, he would do that. And just so you know, he has always seen something in you. But he's is such a procrastinator in everything, that it was getting to the point where I thought he would actually miss out on you. Except he didn't. He finally came through. I know he's my brothe but I'm not entirely sure if you could have picked anyone better. You deserve someone who has always been there for you Veronica. Whether you noticed him in return or not."

She half smiled. "Th-thanks. That's really... thoughtful."

"Yeah."

"May I help the next customer please?"

The line moved up again but Veronica didn't. It was like her feet were planted there in that spot and holding her there. Harry had always seen something in her? For how long? Or maybe she didn't understand her right. Maybe she wasn't talking about Harry having feelings for him when he was Zayn. Maybe she meant he saw positive things in him in a friendly way. But then again, she mentioned that Harry was a procrastinator and that she feared he might miss out. Did that mean he'd had these feelings for a long time? Even before she had ever become--