thirty

The person who came in, turned Zayn around so they were standing behind her and their hand still covered her mouth, making it difficult to scream. When she attempted to bring her hands up and yank the hand away, she saw something being proudly shown off right at her face. It was a pocket knife and by no means was it small.

She stopped trying to fight it and right away, she heard a man's chuckle. "Thanks sweetheart. I appreciate your cooperation. Now, can you please do me a favor? I'm going to take my hand away. But I need for you not to scream. Because I promise you if you do, it will not end well for you. Can you do that for me?"

"Mhm." She said and he let her go before turning her around to face him.

"Good girl."

She stood there with shaky hands.

"Remember me?" He asked as he reached back to lock the front door.

All she could do was nod because she was completely terrified.

"Yeah. I knew you would. I'm very hard to forget when I want to be."

Zayn took a step back. "How did you find me, Shahid?"

"I think that answer is pretty obvious. I followed you." Now he took a step forward so he was right back in front of her again. "With a little help from   Mathew of course."

Zayn frowned. "Who?"

He smiled evilly, because now he knew that he had her full attention. "Mathew. Your little blonde haired friend's boyfriend? Oh yeah. See, he's my partner."

"Your what?"'

He shrugged his shoulders. "Okay, I lied. He's not my partner but I do know him from college and I kind of blackmailed him into getting what I want. How lucky am I, that she's dating someone I know?"

"Huh?" Tears started to well up in her eyes. "I don't understand. You were blackmailing Natalie's boyfriend? Why?"

He huffed impatiently. "Dammit Veronica. Now you're making me feel bad that I was going to do this to you without giving you an explanation. I usually don't show any sympathy." He reached out and tenderly touched her hair. "But I guess you could be a special victim today. After all you are my favorite so far."

He suddenly grasped her hand, then yanked her toward him. "Plus I'm very sure that when I'm done with you, you won't breathe a word to a soul anyway. I can promise you that. Now got sit down on the couch. And do it very slowly."

She did as he said and slowly made her way there. He followed her and once she was sitting, he stood directly in front of her. "Did you know Mathew has a seven year old kid?"

Zayn's jaw dropped but she was still crying. "A what?"

"Yep. From his college days. Mathew was pretty wild in school and the last thing he wants is for anybody to know he actually knocked up a girl."

Zayn couldn't believe it. Mathew had been lying to Natalie all this time? Maybe that's why she said he had been acting strange lately. How could he?

"And you know what?" Shahid continued. "Its all your fault. Its your fault that I'm blackmailing him. Had you just said yes and let me take you to a motel that night when I saw you at the bar, I wouldn't have had to blackmail him into telling me where you worked. And I wouldn't have followed you to your home. But you didn't so... so this is what you get."

He started to undo his belt with one hand and with his other hand, he was still holding the knife out toward her.

"Wait!" Zayn said. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry, please don't do this."